• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Government involvement Poll

If you are a professional it is perfectly acceptable to lobby the local/state/federal government and

• Total voters

Tony Shelton

Environmental Consultant / Past Director
This poll is anonymous so vote how you really feel about it.

True or False

If you are a professional it is perfectly acceptable to lobby the local/state/federal government and help them write BMP's that make it almost virtually impossible for competitors to bid on jobs unless they already own or go out an purchase the thousands of dollars of equipment that you own.

Roger Gothorp

Tony that is dumb. We don't own the thousand's of dollars of "the" equipment, yet we can still bid on any job we want to. It's not all about the equipment :(

Tony Shelton

Tony that is dumb. We don't own the thousand's of dollars of "the" equipment, yet we can still bid on any job we want to. It's not all about the equipment :(

I don't understand your statement. I'm not making any accusations. I'm just trying to get a feel for where people stand on this issue.

Let me give an example to make this more understandable.

Let's say you own a roof cleaning company. You don't have any concrete evidence that there is any detrimental effect to any forms of life using bleach the proper way. YET, you have come up with a bleach substitute (that, of course doesn't work nearly as well, and you can sell at a higher profit) and you lobby the government using your money to scare the daylights out of politicians and homeowners so that they write laws ELIMINATING the use of bleach thus lining your own pockets based on false science.

That is EXACTLY what is happening in the "reclaim" industry. The question is IS IT ACCEPTABLE?

Tony Shelton

BTW Russ, how's that reclaim working out for ya? I heard it cleans the carpet out in the truck pretty good. And if you hook a flo-bee up to it you can trim a dog in a jiffy!

Roger Gothorp

That's what I'm getting at........your statement implies that the professionals are the ones with equipment already or have the means to get it or may be selling it.

MY point is that being environmentally responsible is something that we should do as people not at contractors, but at the same time, as contractors our responsibility is elevated because of what we do. Everybody always wants to build a better mousetrap and those people are always going to try to sell that mousetrap. As a professional, I simply want to insure that the rules in place about an activity (pressure washing) don't force me to buy something in order to be compliant that I can't afford.......

Oh I am rambling. Just got home from my son's football game - he was a STAR :) Gained more yards in ONE run than the entire team did for the rest of the game. Poop on pressure washing - I'm raising a pro football player!

Guy Blackmon

The more equipment needed the more me and Guy like it!

HAPPINESS IS A YARD FULL OF EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're one up on me Big Fella, reclaim. That will be my next purchase, and it will be this year......Craigslist and ebay willing.:)

I think it's how you market the Enviro side of this. Sure you may be able to do the same thing with a sump pump and a tank, but it's hard to sell a sump pump and a tank. Demo a Pro reclaim set-up for a customer, demo a sump pump and tank for a customer...See what I mean? I like to make a show of it myself, then sell higher price.

Gov and States are going to enforce CWA, BMP's and it's going to get worse. States are hurting for money, busting Contractors for non-compliance will be a easy Money Maker. I'm going to get ready, even though flatwork ain't my main thing, I'll have more stuff in the yard. :)

Jim Cooney

I'm big on smaller, less intrusive government. That said, realistically the Fed's and local authorities will realize all the potential revenue they are missing out on, and the CWA will eventually be strictly enforced, coast to coast.

Environmentally friendly cleaning works, and for some clients is the closer, at least in my experience. I've found several excellent products that I use exclusively, all of which are eco friendly, bio degradable, etc.

Once the economy rebounds, we will once again be able to enjoy the $0.20 a sq ft + reclaim rates. Currently, at least in my market, my reclaim jobs are well below that rate.

Speaking of work, gota go............

John Orr

UAMCC Treasurer
Tony, if you are aware of a specific instance of a company trying to influence a gov't agency to adopt BMP's that only they can meet, please let us know. The UAMCC would want to get involved with that.

Guy Blackmon

Unfortunately that's how Big Government works, if want a certain law to pass or even "Lean" your way, all you have to do is hire a lobbyist (Several Hundred Thousand Dollars) sit back and wait.

Russ Spence

You're one up on me Big Fella, reclaim. That will be my next purchase, and it will be this year......Craigslist and ebay willing.:)

I think it's how you market the Enviro side of this. Sure you may be able to do the same thing with a sump pump and a tank, but it's hard to sell a sump pump and a tank. Demo a Pro reclaim set-up for a customer, demo a sump pump and tank for a customer...See what I mean? I like to make a show of it myself, then sell higher price.

Gov and States are going to enforce CWA, BMP's and it's going to get worse. States are hurting for money, busting Contractors for non-compliance will be a easy Money Maker. I'm going to get ready, even though flatwork ain't my main thing, I'll have more stuff in the yard. :)

Guy you hit the nail on the head.

We market ourselves just that way. We are the company to use because we can even follow the letter of the law to protect us, our customer and our environment even if it is not required in the areas we are working in. If and when the areas mandate it we are already in compliance and there is nothing to fear we already have the owners and property managers covered. It is our way of being a responsible business with concerne for our customers needs first.

Henry Bockman

Unfortuanetly that's the way big biz does it so we all end up doing it also to some extent. For example, I always talk about our equipment, methods, knowledge and training. Then we sell them on the quality of our services.

Tony Shelton

Russ, sounds like you and Henry are doing it right. If you were to build a machine that uses solar power to run and then lobbied the government to outlaw all non-solar powerwashing - that would be immoral and a misuse of government.

Guy Blackmon

This poll is anonymous so vote how you really feel about it.

True or False

If you are a professional it is perfectly acceptable to lobby the local/state/federal government and help them write BMP's that make it almost virtually impossible for competitors to bid on jobs unless they already own or go out an purchase the thousands of dollars of equipment that you own.

Morally....... No

Smart Business........Yes, If you can get away with it.

This kind of thing has/is happening all the time in the US.

Jim Cooney

But Obango and Gore would sign that Bill.

Russ, sounds like you and Henry are doing it right. If you were to build a machine that uses solar power to run and then lobbied the government to outlaw all non-solar powerwashing - that would be immoral and a misuse of government.