• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Issues with aluminum siding?

ReVamp Hawaii PW

I have a job coming up where the house has aluminum siding with a very thin coat of paint. I never washed a home with aluminum siding before and a little concerned about using detergents. Has anyone had issues with that type of siding, and what would be best way to clean the dirt and road grime off? Thanks.

Tim Fields

Your thread is well named.

Aluminum siding falls into two categories for us.

1. If it has been repainted using proper prep and good quality paint, then our low pressure detergent wash usually cleans it up very nicely.

2. If it has a "very thin coat of paint on it", then we call that a paint prep. Our low pressure detergent wash will remove mold, mildew, dirt, etc, and make the painters job easier.

Aluminium siding that shows a "very thin coat" usually means that the paint is thouroughly oxidized and surely a good bit of that oxidation is going to be removed when washed. It is expected that the washed siding will be blotchy and even less attractive than before, but it will be clean.

Good luck, and post pictures if you have them.

John Tornabene

Member Guest
Run.... We stopped doing Aluminum siding years ago and the and the only time we do it today is for a Prep job to be repainted. Aluminum siding is so outdated that its most likely been on that house for many years. The paint has like said about, mostly Oxidized so when you clean it many things can happen to it such as the paint running off, Detergents causing streaks in the paint,Bitchiness all around the house etc.

Years ago I would do the Aluminum houses if I thought they can take my cleaning methods which is a soft wash with soaps but even the ones that I thought could take it some of them streaked. So no more for us.

Good Luck

Russ Spence

we usually use a butyl based cleaner when cleaning oxidized aluminum siding, it will remove the oxidation but 99/100 it will require repaintin as stated above.

ReVamp Hawaii PW

I figured that it would be a problem to clean using detergents and that it would affect the look of the siding. The home is not going to be repainted which makes it more diificult. I already scheduled a date to do the job. im planning on just using water and pressure to remove the dirt and if it doesnt work ill use a light detergent and make the customer aware of possible problems. Thanks for the comments

John Tornabene

Member Guest
Pass on this job my friend, if you touch this house YOU will be painting it.
Thats the best advise!!!! Sometimes just pass on the money and let someone else deal with the misery. You may get lucky but take it from these guys above who have been in this business for years and dealt with what your talking about. Oxidized paint is a NIGHTMARE and to clean Damaged Paint your looking for trouble.

If you do it let us know how it turned out. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones....But I wouldn't bet on it.
Good Luck

John Orr

UAMCC Treasurer
The simple solution would be to perform a testing an inconspicuous area. Note: Running from this job applies if the finish comes off when you run you hand across the siding. If the siding is newer - yes, its still around - you'll be OK. If it was actually painted - and prepped properly beforehand, you'll be OK. A lot of ifs. Keep us posted.