• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Teacher tells my 10 yr old there is no Santa!!!!

Michael Tessaro

John, I sent 3 kids through private christian school. No tax break. But we were willing to make the sacrifice and extra effort to make a difference in their education. The public school in our area just plain sucked, high drop out rate, gangs, below par on about every level. So we got proactive in a private school. I would do it all over again too. Education doesnt cost, it pays. I just wish as a parent and a tax payer we had a choice, instead of having to use what is dished up. Educational vouchers would really raise the bar in education. But as it stands now, take what you get or pay extra for an alternative. We chose the alternative. A lot of families are going the home school, private school education route.

William Page

+1 Michael. My children will never darken the door of a gov't indoctrination center. I love them to much to have evolution, Santa clause, new age, etc flung at them everyday.

James VanHandle

UAMCC-Member
John,
Hope your keeping warm in NY.
Would you give anything over to the government and expect it back in better shape? Look into the big picture of our school system and which way they are steering our kids. How many school systems teach are kids to think for themselves, work for themselves, drive hard to own there own company or even how to start your own business? Just think about it! They teach you how to get a good paying job (Just Over Broke). The other kids teach them they need Coach bags, fancy cell phones,expensive shoes, cars and clothes, drugs just to fit in. We are not sheltering our kids totally from this nonsense but keeping it at arms length until they learn what they need. Reading, writing, arithmatic, social skills. Just a start on why we made this decision. My family,on both sides, are farmers and they both all have stores were they sell produce and goods. My kids at 8 and 10 are waiting on customers(on the weekends) taking money, giving change and learning alot from just working there. They love it. Dealing with diferent people every minute. Thats good experience. So we dont shelter them from the world like homeschooling has been portrayed. Its reaaly cool seeing them learn this stuff. They learn at there own pace.

John Tornabene

Member Guest
Jim---I'm staying warm most of the time now..but I have to still have hang my x-mas lights. Little late this year on that but I'll get it done.
All your points about Home school are valid and reading what you say it looks like your family has an ideal set-up for this. I guess its a "School of thought" on what works best for each family. In our case because our public school system ranks very high thru academics and there programs they offer, we're Good with that. Yes the drug culture is out there as are other negative influences. The TV and the internet to have there downsides also especially the internet. There is no perfect system and what sucks for some may be good for others.

As for my kids the've been in the school system since they were 3. At 4 they were introduced to a computer for learning purposes. This is all before Kindergarden. To me it all seems to be a bit much but my kids on the other hand are excelling at it. My specialty is not in teaching so I wouldn't know where to start there because I like life to be simple. In that regard I'm probably not the best example in some area's for my kids. But I will say my wife is very involved in the school district. She was a class Mother for most of my kids elementary years. Kathy also stays involved with there extra activities as I do when I can. That to me is important because it shows my kids were there when we can.

Under different circumstances I don't think Kathy or I have it in us to home school. It would not be our strengths but the private school such as a Catholic School was high on our list and not just because of the religious aspect(My wife is very religious and I'm not nearly as much) but most importantly for the teaching aspect.

Your choice looks to be a very sound choice but in my case where I'm at and knowing our strengths and not having the similiar resources that you have it would not have worked best for our kids.