• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

De-Icing roofs and gutters NJ

James VanHandle

UAMCC-Member
De-Ice gutter lines and roofs NJ. Does anybody do this besides me? I have been loaded with calls from homeowners and insurance companies to De-ice gutter lines. Homeowners have been claiming they have lots of leaks inside from the Ice Dam. Any hints or tricks to do this ice dam removal?

John Tornabene

Member Guest
Hey Jim I guess Mike passed on this also. It looks this would be a year to make a killing on this and just wasn't something we do even though this might be a great opportunity to give this a try. The only person I knew that was big into this is Henry Bockman. Maybe give him a call and see what he suggest. Henry is good at taking calls and helping fellow contractors when he can.

Here is a page on his website where he advertises Ice Dam Removal. Besides him there isnt another person that I know that does this type cleaning. http://www.roofrepairmaryland.com/Ice_dam_removal.html

John,
I am actually doing this job tommorrow. It is small in scale 15-20 ft long gutter with some accumulation above it.
One issue that no one addresses is the fact that there is 2 feet of snow and ice blocking the downspout out on the ground. Its a must to clear that so that the run off has somewhere to go. It can't move past the block of ice backed all the way up and into the gutter. So that has to be part of the job. It is dangerous work, but can pay well.

Last edited:

James VanHandle

UAMCC-Member
We went out today to clear Ice Dams on three large homes in NJ. We had to accually break out the ice from the gutters that were clogged by hand. Then flush down to melt the rest with very hot water. Turned out great, but it was touch lugging ladders around in deep snow but we were paid well today!!!

Paul Kassander

UAMCC Associate Member
We do ice dam removal in Wisconsin. Thats a good point about the downspouts Michael that is always where we start after we finish cleaning off the roof. I agree James the worst part of the whole thing is lugging through the deep snow. Its hard enough to do without carrying a ladder!

Mike,
If you ever get any calls for work in my neck of the woods dont hesitate to call.

Will do and thanks for the referral. The one that we did was chipping the ice out as well. Ice damn on newer construction failed and ruined the interior of the house. It was deep snow to walk with a ladder but gave great stability to the bottom since it was packed 18" deep in heavy melting snow. Gotta say that it pays better than the powerwashing and requires little to no equipment. I did not even turn a machine on, pulled accumulation off of roof above gutter, got out the hammer and chipped away the thicker parts, chipped out the gutter and threw it to the ground. Easy money in this line of work, will definately advertise for it next year around snow season.

James VanHandle

UAMCC-Member
Any time!! I will do a little more advertising for this next year as well. Just use your old customers E-mails to send out special advertising when needed. Have fun in the snow.

Douglas Hicks

There may be a cause for the ice dams. Contact a roofer for things to look for
1. lack of insulation in attic
2. lack of air flow in attic
3. roof problems, no ice and water shield, overhang causes water to freeze, lack of snow removal, srappy roof needs replacement

There may be a cause for the ice dams. Contact a roofer for things to look for
1. lack of insulation in attic
2. lack of air flow in attic
3. roof problems, no ice and water shield, overhang causes water to freeze, lack of snow removal, srappy roof needs replacement

Our problem this season with it was snow accumulation weekly or twice a week and freezing temps continually, leaving little melt off and turning to ice overnight. It was a bad winter here, likely the worst I remember in ten years.