• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

What to do when there is another washing company doing the job?

Carlos Gonzales

As you continue to pursue market dominance both in the commercial and residential areana there are times when you approach a potential client that tells you that they already have a washer performing the services needed. This is common in our industry.

Question is what do you do?

Do you walk away and thank then for their time?

Do you try to find out when the contract expires? If you get that information...WRITE IT DOWN and put it in a monthly tickler file. Also, make sure you get the clients contact information.

Do you from time to time swing by or pass through and evaluate the current washers performance? If so, write down areas where you think your service can out perform the existing contractor. One thing to remember is to remain professional and never bash.

Do you leave your contact information with the client? If so, tell them that if they ever need you to "fill in" for the contractor that they should call you. What happens if the current contractor misses a service or may have to leave on a family emergency. What if his rigs break down or two crew people call in sick? The client is not worried about that...they want the contract serviced.

What happens if the Vice President or the President of the building or company decides to pay a site visit and only gives the Manager a 2 day notice? And the manager can't track down the current contractor or the current contractor says he can't do the wash because he is busy doing other things.

The impression that you left with that manager and your contact information could be your ticket to get your foot in the door.

When talking to commercial clients, don't just walk away when they say they already have someone. Give them the reasons above and more to take your card.

If and when they do call you for help...this could be the beginning to the end of the other contractor. Be aggressive but be professional. If you are good at what you do...walk around with a confidence about yourself during your time infront of potential customers.

Know your business and know their business....they will pick up on your confidence!!

Rock and Roll for '09

Jim Chesmore

I have not had this happen but I expect it to since I will be diving into the PM/HOA arena this year.

I think I will ask them why they like about their current PWer and compare that to my services.

Also I will ask what they are not happy with and give another comparison

Carlos Gonzales

if all else fails offer to be their stand in company and KEEP IN TOUCH!!!

....and this is how you stay in touch

Matthew XXXX
Valley Farm Transportation
P. O. Box XXX
Dixon, CA 95620

Matt,

It was great speaking with you regarding the services that New Look Power Wash can offer Valley Farm Transportation. It is our hope that Valley Farm Transportation and New Look Power Wash can gel a relationship together in the near future.

I would like to offer our fleet wash services in an “as needed basis” for Valley Farm. I understand that your current fleet wash service continues to do an adequate job. The fit that I see with our company is that we would be utilized as a back-up vendor for your fleet washing needs. If your current fleet washer takes a vacation, calls in ill or if their services deteriorate ~ New Look Power Wash is readily available to step-in and fulfill the contract specifications.

Our intention is to ultimately win your business and under no circumstances will my company under-mind your current fleet wash service. Our purpose is to offer you an alternative if one of the above scenarios occurs with your current fleet wash service.

Our reputation and service speaks for itself. Having clients such as Chevy’s Fresh Mex Restaurants, Aldredge Enterprises, the Fairfield-Suisun Chamber of Commerce and a variety of Homeowners Associations throughout Solano county ~ New Look Power Wash has established itself as one of the premiere power wash companies in Solano county!

I will call you in early January to answer any questions that Valley Farm Transportation may have and also to see whether or not we can finalize this understanding that we spoke about on the phone. I would be more than willing to meet with you and/or another representative from Valley Farm Transportation.

Carlos Gonzales

hmmm, now this is getting interesting... Good info

The letter above Jim is a very effective marketing tool and can be modified to fit alot of scenarios so you as the contractor can get your foot in the door.

I did that letter over 5 years ago and it is still a good marketing tool today!

More to come on this thread!!

DJ Carroll

Man Carlos that sure does lok familiar ;)

Steve,
It was great speaking with you regarding the services that EasyPro Property Services can offer FNB of Carrollton. It is our hope that FNB and EasyPro Property Services can gel a relationship together in the near future.
I would like to offer our Snow and Ice Management services in an “as needed basis” for FNB. If the current company’s services deteriorate or they happen to go out of business ~ EasyPro Property Services is readily available to step-in and fulfill the contract specifications.
Our intention is to ultimately win your business and under no circumstances will my company under-mind your current Snow and Ice Management service. Our purpose is to offer you an alternative if one of the above scenarios occurs.
Our reputation and service speaks for itself. Having references such as Rally's Hamburgers, The City of Worthville, Members of the Carrollton Rotary and Chambers, and a variety of Homeowners throughout the area ~ EasyPro Property Services has established itself as one of the premiere property service companies in this area!
I will call you in early February to set up a meeting to discuss a lawn and landscape proposal. If there are any questions that you may have please feel free to contact me any time. Next year I would be more than willing to meet with you and/or another representative from FNB and show you the difference we can make.

Sincerely,

LOL it is a great letter guys and had worked wonders for me

Carlos Gonzales

that is too funny DJ....glad to see the letter worked for you!! Nothing like sharing information with colleagues in the industry!!!!!

Man Carlos that sure does lok familiar ;)

Steve,
It was great speaking with you regarding the services that EasyPro Property Services can offer FNB of Carrollton. It is our hope that FNB and EasyPro Property Services can gel a relationship together in the near future.
I would like to offer our Snow and Ice Management services in an “as needed basis” for FNB. If the current company’s services deteriorate or they happen to go out of business ~ EasyPro Property Services is readily available to step-in and fulfill the contract specifications.
Our intention is to ultimately win your business and under no circumstances will my company under-mind your current Snow and Ice Management service. Our purpose is to offer you an alternative if one of the above scenarios occurs.
Our reputation and service speaks for itself. Having references such as Rally's Hamburgers, The City of Worthville, Members of the Carrollton Rotary and Chambers, and a variety of Homeowners throughout the area ~ EasyPro Property Services has established itself as one of the premiere property service companies in this area!
I will call you in early February to set up a meeting to discuss a lawn and landscape proposal. If there are any questions that you may have please feel free to contact me any time. Next year I would be more than willing to meet with you and/or another representative from FNB and show you the difference we can make.

Sincerely,

LOL it is a great letter guys and had worked wonders for me

Mike Schoeben

Free demo's work great for us. Usually, if they have a contractor already, I'll ask to come by the day after the current contractor gets finished. When they see our quality of work, it sells itself. Everyone wants the most bang for the buck, and to be able to show what their current contractor is not doing, is a slam dunk sales technique.

Jim Cooney

I've taken pictures of the damage being done, while the "competition" was busy destroying the concrete. In this one instance, I contacted the PM, she asked me to email the pictures to her. Apparently the "contractor" was a friend of her's, as he called me numerous times over the next 7 days, going as far as death threats. I also received several very strange calls that week wanting me to do estimates way out of my area, "money is no object, just send me the bill". Red flag, same ****ed off "contractor" who I caught destroying the concrete and giving our industry a shameful reputation.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

Carlos Gonzales

Wow...that is scary. Question is ...how did this contractor get your number? Did the PM..the friend...FYI'd him about you? If that was the case, I'd be calling the PM and asking some questions.

Jim Cooney

Wow...that is scary. Question is ...how did this contractor get your number? Did the PM..the friend...FYI'd him about you? If that was the case, I'd be calling the PM and asking some questions.

That's exactly what happened Carlos. Ironically, I get a call about 6 months later, from the superior of the PM. Had no idea what had transpired previously, or of the major damage done to the property. Actually called me for an emergancy graffiti removal job.

Once I arrived at the address, I realized it was the same strip mall managed by the same PM company. Since I was leary about getting paid, I called back the contact. That's when I learned he was the VP of the PM company. Explained what had transpired 6+ months earlier. He asked me to send the photo's, previous emals and to provide a proposal to do the complex.

Never heard back from him, but I did get paid for the graffiti removal job.