• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

How to figure square feet/bid railings and spindles?

Rico1

Its pretty easy to figure out Square feet and price for just cleaning or stain prep of the deck, but how do you figure out/include the railings and stairs in the bid. This seems to be my biggest weakness in the bidding process.

Ken Fenner

Its pretty easy to figure out Square feet and price for just cleaning or stain prep of the deck, but how do you figure out/include the railings and stairs in the bid. This seems to be my biggest weakness in the bidding process.

1 linear foot of railing (on average) is 6 s/f. I use 7 square feet to factor in the fascia. A 20x20 deck would be 820 square feet without factoring steps, supports, benches, etc.

Rico1

Thanks ken, I knew i was a low on square feet. As far a stair do you work off the height or number of steps/width? Just trying not to under estimate, don't want to hurt my market though i always try to find out were i come in on my bids and i'm usually on the high side.

Cant wait for the PWNA wood restoration course later this month!

John Tornabene

Member Guest
Thanks ken, I knew i was a low on square feet. As far a stair do you work off the height or number of steps/width? Just trying not to under estimate, don't want to hurt my market though i always try to find out were i come in on my bids and i'm usually on the high side.

Cant wait for the PWNA wood restoration course later this month!
Hey Joe--The PWNA Wood restoration class is excellent. I have taken it in the past. Also on top of that Matt Johnson who may not be to far from you teaches another wood restoration class. This is his Contractors website but he also has a Powerwashing & Distributor ship website. Either way the contact info is the same and the very least he can give you some great pointers in your neck of the woods.
http://www.pwscleaning.com/

Ryan Freidline

For wood restoration we are at $2.75-$4.00/sq ft

we adjust between those #'s above. ex. no railings = $2.75/sq ft

minimal trim ground level = $3.50/sq ft etc., etc.,

So....we just measure the floorboards and take that number and apply to figure above based on degree of difficulty.

Rico1

Hi Guys,

Thanks, for the great advice! I got my certification. The PWNA class was great but it was Deck Restoration specific so i will give Matt Johnson a call, he's way north but a lot closer than the PWNA class was and it looks like he does a lot more than decks.

Rico,
Perfect View Services
Highland, NY