• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Should I run for the UAMCC VP slot??

John Tornabene

Member Guest
I'm contemplating on running for the VP slot. I think Ron can do a good job as the president and I'm thinking what would be best for this org. If I ran for a position. I have a very good understanding of the bylaws, I have the time(this is big) to commit since I am 3 weeks out from retiring from my other job and I always keep myself busy with relative ease. I have experience from every position within the union from bottom to top. I served 3 yrs on the PWNA board and left as treasurer with a certificate of a job well done.

I started with a few here to search out someone to lead this org. When it was about to start it's new beginning. I donated to this org the day it open it's doors which I think Don Phelps might have been the only one who donated more because he won a free membership if memory serves me right(if I new it was for a free membership I would have donated more:).

I can give this org. 110% because my Powerwashing business pretty much runs itself every year for at least the past 5 yrs so I won't be bogged down at all.

I know Ron for probably 12 yrs or so now and I have always been a good team worker but I would never roll over if a guy is determined to do something if the majority is against it which could cause the non profit to collapse... Another words stay close to the bylaws and if Ron has the correct vision then we could be an unstoppable pair.

To me it's always the sum of the parts that comes first. I carry no agenda's except one.. Does what we do benefit the members.

If Ron is right I can stand up and defend him probably like no other here can because I know how to fight those battles. If Ron is wrong, again I can stand up to him and get him on the right track.

Ron and I talked all the way thru our bad time this year. He's never afraid to back down from any and I'm never afraid to talk to anyone.

When people ask me to do something... I do it...I've always been like that and sometimes I over do it because I was asked but the people or in this case the members would and have to come first.

The drawbacks to some is I support the PWNA. To me that shouldn't be because relationships yes even in the org. Business is important. Tearing any of them down or any individual down is a negative approach and that attitude is predestined to fail... Especially if your looking for also crossover members which should be a no brainer.

Another drawback is how I handled the fallout here with Carlos. What some may not know is I spent countless ours to get Ron and Carlos to iron out there differences including taking calls from both and going back and forth as a mediator relaying there
Thoughts. Why? Because I gave a darn.

My biggest drawback was what I did on the Internet with some people backing me. I did not want to take that approach and I said all along that we should fly down to Cali and talk to Carlos. The net doesn't work. So since no one did that and I mentioned that numerous times I stand here and I'll say it again.. I should have went there on my own then and sat down with Carlos.. It was IMHO a tremendous mistake in my part and I don't fault others because they didn't go.. I should have because remember its what would have benefitted the members the most....and in a not for profit that is paramount!

If I run it will be in that position. The same position that me and Mike T. Wanted to run for back when but in that case I looked at what was better for the membership and I stepped back to take the Secretary slot...before all heck broke loose.. . That was a bad experience but as I outlined above..I'll take alot of the blame for it because if you can't admit blame then your most likely helping no one because where not perfect.

I do have some friends and I'm sure I have some people that can't stand me. Personally I don't have any enemies but I did get into it with a few and it was always over being passionate and trying to do right for the membership at large. Those people that I went at it with... We all have benefitted from it today because we stayed connected.

I think most people will tell you that when I say I'll do something...I do it. I will also support things within this org because I believe in it like I did when we had our last convention. If I have extra cash I tend to give it away if it helps the members. I've done this for the PWNA in the past where my teenie tiny PWing company sponsored a dinner in Memphis at one of there conventions.

I also was the lead in inviting Wrapi with Russel Cissel who had some huge supporters in Carlos, Celeste, Beth to come to our board meeting in Tenn. Back then because I believe in making a bond with many orgs. Where not each others enemies. Yes we should prove we can be the best.. But not by taking others down. When you become the best you still want to align yourself with many other groups and never be steered away from that because of personal dislikes a person or two may have against one or two others.. It's all about building and it's all about what benefits your members the most...and personal gain as good as that can be...still goes on the back burner if it doesn't benefit your members the most.

So that's what I'm contemplating and let me have it. I like honesty no matter how brutal it can be. Ron talks about death threats somewhere...well being a soon to be ex law enforcement I've been told to my face that I was going to get killed and it wasn't pleasant but besides that... I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Thanks,
John T.

John Tornabene

Member Guest
I'm not looking for who would vote for me.. Or who would vote against me.. Feel free to say you would never ever ever vote for me..all that's good. If you say you would for me...cool. What I'm looking for really is do you think I should. For the betterment of the org. The more hats in the ring the better it is which I get... But if you can keep that thought out of your head because that makes it completely biased... Would you recommend from what you know about me to run?

That's what I'm trying to figure out... Also I am not political so what you see is what you get..and in politics that kills which is why I always like to stay in the board room but not be out there trying to sell something if I don't completely believe in it... And in board cases on non profits I've been voted down by large margins at times but I was happy to be able to express idea's in there especially the ones that worked.

William Page

I am no longer a member here and am not planning on renewing my membership until I am certain that Carlos is not going to be a board member. But, here are my thoughts. I believe that the PWNA is the biggest threat to pressure washing contractors at this point in time. I hope that the UAMCC can be a thorn in the side and maybe counter act some of the damages that are being created by them and those that are trying to force unfair reclaim practices on washers. I don't think that someone that is a member of the PWNA should be a Board member. Nothing against you. You have the rights to your own business relationships and thoughts. This is just my take on you, or anyone else that is a PWNA member, having any control of this org.

Charlie Soden

Contributing Member
The direction the UAMCC will need to take under the new BoD is to drive as far away from the PWNA as possible in goals, mission, actions, communications, etc, etc. If someone is just a PWNA member for the sticker that is one thing but if you honestly fully support both in principal and practice what the PWNA stands for and what their intentions are I dont think you belong in the UAMCC Board, but that's just me

Jeff LeCours

I am no longer a member here and am not planning on renewing my membership until I am certain that Carlos is not going to be a board member. But, here are my thoughts. I believe that the PWNA is the biggest threat to pressure washing contractors at this point in time. I hope that the UAMCC can be a thorn in the side and maybe counter act some of the damages that are being created by them and those that are trying to force unfair reclaim practices on washers. I don't think that someone that is a member of the PWNA should be a Board member. Nothing against you. You have the rights to your own business relationships and thoughts. This is just my take on you, or anyone else that is a PWNA member, having any control of this org.

I follow Williams thoughts too.

John, I am just not sure I would want you on the BOD or not for a few reasons.

Should be interesting to see who the 9 BOD members will be.

Whatever you do have FUN.......Go UAMCC

Ken Fenner

As a friend..No, John. With respect to the org, the UAMCC is too volatile now and the people getting involved are taking huge leaps that are going to require thick skin, no baggage, and a major commitment of time. The fluff and hype are easy to buy into but you know as well as I do that this isn't a part time thing. You have personally shown yourself to be too emotionally involved (its the Italian in you). You're a passionate guy, but that gets in the way of making good decisions sometimes. Ultimately, the decision is yours but the sideline are where its at right now.

John Tornabene

Member Guest
Jeff we battled for sure.. And always appreciated your honesty. You and I had some different philosophies and the breakdown of communication that came out about it.. The thing now is I can finally give more then I did in the past. Today the clock is ticking and I know what I'm capable of doing when I commit. In this industry I belong to a parking association and I have to get current there.
I expect to get knock down here because of my PWNA ties. The bottom line is I dont believe in everything any org represents. Nothing is perfect.

There are contractors and members here that belong to both the PWNA & the UAMCC. I believe Ron does also..or he says he does. He's got crossover friendships also.

So far the consensus is not to run. Keep it coming because it helps me to make a decision since I support the UAMCC but if the majority think I shouldn't.. Thats the part I want to hear most because as Kathy says.. I have a hard time turning things down if I think I can help in a positive way a group or even one person.

Last edited:

John Tornabene

Member Guest
As a friend..No, John. With respect to the org, the UAMCC is too volatile now and the people getting involved are taking huge leaps that are going to require thick skin, no baggage, and a major commitment of time. The fluff and hype are easy to buy into but you know as well as I do that this isn't a part time thing. You have personally shown yourself to be too emotionally involved (its the Italian in you). You're a passionate guy, but that gets in the way of making good decisions sometimes. Ultimately, the decision is yours but the sideline are where its at right now.
Ken your right on about alot in there. The commitment as a BOD if you want to make things fly is a huge commitment. On the outside I stuck to most things I ever started. The glaring failure in my commitments is the UAMCC.

On the outside I served 4 yrs in the Navy and then just about 25 yrs serving the public in law enforcement. I also been Powerwashing going on to my 17th yr. I served as a Union delegate on up for upwards to 15 yrs and hit the top there and then moved on but to this day I stay in touch with many past presidents and also some politicians. Someone actually wrote a book about raising kids and they asked me what I thought about it and along with around five other people my quote was put on the back cover with the title Union president.. So I guess I was OK there.

I never quit on anyone or anything because I followed thru.. I've been on the cover of the NY post when Al Sharpton and his cronies tried to shut down NY city(I was at the right place at the wrong time or the wrong place at the right time..depends who you talked to back then).

I can't recall quitting to often in my life. I did quit varsity Hockey for my HS because yup as captain many of us had a problem with our coach who didn't know squat about hockey except to play his sons.. Who basically sucked.. So I did quit that after confronting him with the team behind me.. And the best thing to do then was to walk..long story but having a real job at the time kind of swayed my decision plus facing potential school suspension..also was a factor.

Everything else quitter is not part of me and now I have the time....but yes I agree if I did any good serving the UAMCC back when they had there convention and being a part of that in a positive way... What people remember is the negative thing no matter what happen.. And that negative for me was to not only quit but also to strike out at Carlos when he shouldn't been left alone on the blame game... That one was fixable.. And it's in the past...

Thanks for your honesty Ken.. You guys make my decision easier.

John Tornabene

Member Guest
John, please do it so I don't have to.

Lololol. Your going to have more competition if your running for a VP slot and it's not just me... Hahaha.. But without calling in some big guns for support.. Guys like Ken and Jeff and a few more like that who know me and give it to me straight like they are.. I'll just do what I always done and that's support the UAMCC like I've already done with updating my membership and let the young guns take a run at the board slots.. If your short on time then energy levels are vital and some of these young guns have alot of energy. No problem moving on to other things.. There's alot out there..and can't afford the boat I want just yet to just hang around and do much of...nothing and liking it:)

Russ Spence

John I would say no as well, you are much better off right now not adding the pressures of the board position.

Trust me on that one. Keep it simple

John Tornabene

Member Guest
Ron would be a tough cat for sure. The thing with me and Ron is we don't scare each other. He bleeps me and I bleep back.. The difference is Ron has vision and I can stay extremely motivated. You will never see me sucking the earth Ron walks on but you could see me fight for the org on real issues such as grants etc where 99% of the people will not do that. I know how to negotiate on real matters such as contracts but more importantly if Ron wants to put in 30hr weeks I can match him.

I think Ron will run into major problems with the " I can do anything" as a leader of a non profit. I also believe Ron that he wants to help the industry. The difference here is As long as anyone has known Ron he is the boss. He makes things happen. He also can blow something up and it's not always pretty. Do I think I can control Ron?? Never and who would want to. Do I think I can keep Ron on a straight true course to get where he wants to go?? Yes and there isn't anyone I can think who can come close in helping Ron carry out his vision then I can.

Call it supreme confidence or cockiness. I call it smart business. Ron has vision but he can go way off course.. I have the energy and now the time to keep Ron with the help of the board to keep him out of trouble and make things happen.

That is my strength. I don't pipe dream anyone because I'm not a visionary type person. Carlos and Ron are more those type imdividuals which is why I think they really clashed back in the day.. So you put a team together and you have to know there strengths.... And Ron knows his and I know mine. So that is why I would Run for VP slot here if I would run.

But I also listen to what a Russ Spence and you others are saying. You guys know me somewhat and I'm not a politician. If I get some more answers like that then the writing is on the wall. I will not try to sway people I respect to think otherwise because I have enough things to try and do where I do have to sway people's minds but on an org level when the writing is on the wall even if I think I can prove myself to you guys like I have done to others in the past... This one here would not be worth it because the type words with no emotions behind them I just am not good at that..

I am impressed that the above guys told it to me straight.. The day is to short for me to try and reinvent the wheel when others don't support me in the first place...

But there all still good in my book.

Ken Fenner

John, I have wheeled a large popcorn maker into the stands. I have seats reserved for me, Jeff and Russ so far. Let me know if you need a spot. Bring eggs, tomotoes and bug repellant for admission.

John Tornabene

Member Guest
It would be a mess in 12 min
Oh I would knock Ron out in less then that but I could carry Ron where others can't.. As far as knocking Ron out... Yea I would have to bite his ear off first to polarize him..but then Ron may eat my arm..lol. Now Ron and Joey Buttafuco would be a good death match.. Me.. I'll sit with Chuck Zito and watch Chuck beat the hey out of Claude Van Dam for disrespecting another girl at a errr club.

John Tornabene

Member Guest
John, I have wheeled a large popcorn maker into the stands. I have seats reserved for me, Jeff and Russ so far. Let me know if you need a spot. Bring eggs, tomotoes and bug repellant for admission.
Lol.. Ron has a big weekness.. Kiddie burgers and diet cokes.. Throw that at him and he will lose focus. Right there I would go to clock him and then I would see a glass of Chianti and then the show Boardwalk Empire would be on and I'd watch. Then Ron would start stumping me..ouch that would hurt. I would sustain multiple rib fractures.. Not pretty. Ron would now take a bite of his favorite kiddie burger that's was thrown on the Canvas and that would be the end of him. I would flick his Adam Apple and like a ton of bricks Ron goes down.. That's a death blow... But I like Ron so I would have to take Jeff LeCours Pen and slam it into Rons windpipe so he can once again enjoy what's left of that burger. But then Ron would bend over to tie his shoe and an explosion would be heading towards my way.. And lights out. Ron killed everybody..lol. The end.