• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Composite Deck Cleaning

LSPW01

Here are some pics of a 1200 sq ft deck I clean. After the first time I cleaned this I got 7 more restaurants from this job.

Attachments

• IMG_2985.jpg
    IMG_2985.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2993.jpg
    IMG_2993.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2991.jpg
    IMG_2991.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2988.jpg
    IMG_2988.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 40

Barry M

Deck Cleaning

I've never used a surface cleaner on composite decking. Normally a good dousing of strong bleach and a good light wash/rinse is all that is needed.

Your pics look good though, nice job.

Ken Fenner

Danny, what pressure were you using? Any cleaners or chems used?

The job looks good but I am skeptical of the surface cleaner and any pressure.

LSPW01

Danny, what pressure were you using? Any cleaners or chems used?

The job looks good but I am skeptical of the surface cleaner and any pressure.

This deck had gone two years without being cleaned. The owner had his son rent a pressure washer and wash it just one week before i did it. I told him I could get it cleaner but he didn't believe me. I had 2000 psi at the end of the hose. That would only be 1000 at each of the two tips on the surface cleaner. This Deck material will hold up to 1500 PSI according to their website. I used dawn dishwashing liquid and hot water as a pre treatment. There were a few places where I had to put the dawn directly on the surface and brush it first. Otherwise I just sprayed it down with a pump up sprayer. The only thing I really had to watch was starting the Surface cleaner up. I made sure I raised it up and let the pressure bleed off before I put it down and started moving and the same when stopping, I would raise it up while I was still moving. I left no lines or stripping or swirls on it and it came out better than I expected. The owner gave me his other 7 restraunts after this job. None of those have these decks though.

Ken Fenner

It came out looking great, Danny. Double bonus securing the other work. Wouldn't it be great of every job ended like this?

Bob Gomez

looks great! what kind of machine set up are you using? truck mount, trailer, mobile??? I do many decks but without surface cleaner (just the wand) do you highly recommend sc?

LSPW01

looks great! what kind of machine set up are you using? truck mount, trailer, mobile??? I do many decks but without surface cleaner (just the wand) do you highly recommend sc?

It's a trailer mount system, 6gpm @ 3500 psi. I turned the pressure down to 2500 psi. I have done it two more times since those pics were taken. I don't think i would ever do it with a wand. using the surface cleaner is so much faster it's unreal.

Pete Marentay

UAMCC Associate Member
Danny, please allow me to offer a correction on one point. I believe that pressure stays constant thoughout your system, regardless of the number of outlets (nozzles). The only thing that gets divided by two when you have two nozzles is "flow". In other words, you were actually using 2000 PSI with half the flow going through each nozzle of your surface cleaner.

If you did this on most wood decks (PT or cedar) the surface cleaner would be working against the grain for most of the spinning cycle (and hollowing out the soft spots in between the grain at 2000 PSI). Since this was a composite deck (which is often quite a bit harder than either PT or cedar) using the surface cleaner might have been OK for that surface. I didn't see any rings in the finish, so it must have worked fine in this case. When I teach wood restoration, I reguilarly advise against using a surface cleaner. Composite surfaces are just tougher.

LSPW01

Danny, please allow me to offer a correction on one point. I believe that pressure stays constant thoughout your system, regardless of the number of outlets (nozzles). The only thing that gets divided by two when you have two nozzles is "flow". In other words, you were actually using 2000 PSI with half the flow going through each nozzle of your surface cleaner.

If you did this on most wood decks (PT or cedar) the surface cleaner would be working against the grain for most of the spinning cycle (and hollowing out the soft spots in between the grain at 2000 PSI). Since this was a composite deck (which is often quite a bit harder than either PT or cedar) using the surface cleaner might have been OK for that surface. I didn't see any rings in the finish, so it must have worked fine in this case. When I teach wood restoration, I reguilarly advise against using a surface cleaner. Composite surfaces are just tougher.

You are correct. My brain was working in reverse. Yeah this deck is extremely hard. I checked with the MFG and the installer back a few months ago before I cleaned it the first time. They were both ok with the 2000 PSI. It didn't do any damage what so ever. Not to say it won't over time though. It is now on a monthly schedule. This thing gets extremely dirty in a month. It is a very popular place to eat around here.