Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: oxalic

Default oxalic

Good afternoon,

what would be the longest a piece of stripped wood could go before it needs to be neutrilized? I will be stripping a deck on monday and will be starting with the ballusters and rails. should i neutrilize those after stripping or can they wait a couple of hours and neutrilize the entire project at the same time?

thanks gents,

EDITED,

After more investigation I have come to the conclusion that i will neutrilize as i go. strip, wash and neutrilize ballusters and rails. s/w/n/ steps, stringers and hand rails, and so on. I am just not interested in leaving the stripper on the wood any longer than I have to.
    Last edited by Steven Mendez; 06-24-2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: more investigation
    Steven Mendez
    www.westernmainepressurewashing.com
    Residential Pressure Washing, Soft Washing, and Deck Cleaning and Staining
    207-935-4503

Default Re: oxalic

Either way would work fine Steven, I usually prefer to wait until after everything is stripped so I only have to brighten once.
    Charlie Soden
    Apex DeckSavers
    Raleigh NC Deck Cleaning and Staining
    Deck and Fence Refinishing
    919-302-1523

<marquee> Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com </marquee>

I've even come back the next day to brighten on one occasion when we ran out of time. Not the best idea to wait that long but it came out fine
    Charlie Soden
    Apex DeckSavers
    Raleigh NC Deck Cleaning and Staining
    Deck and Fence Refinishing
    919-302-1523

<marquee> Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com </marquee>

ok cool,just wasnt sure on how long i could wait and now i know . the strippping process shouldnt be more than a couple three hours for me so I will do the whole thing and then brighten.

Thanks Charlie. ( of course its pouring out up here this morning so i have to hurry up and wait )
    Steven Mendez
    207-935-4503

Good stuff Charlie

Text me anytime for question 480-522-5227

As I understand it, sodium hydroxide is active when wet, so if the deck dries, it stops "cooking". The problem is that, until neutralized, the SH will reactivate every time it gets wet - so you're OK unless it rains. A few hours? I wouldn't worry, though if there is any furring/fuzzing of the wood, I would neutralize ASAP.
    John Orr
    Former UAMCC Board Member/Treasurer
    Low-Pressure Exterior Cleaning
    757/718-5442
    http://www.exteriorcleaning.com

Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com

so does the ox actually stop the s/hydroxide from working?, hence the " neutrelizeing". and could you please elaborate for a minute on why to neutralize asap if the wood is fuzzed or furred.

thanks Steven
    Steven Mendez
    207-935-4503

Quote Originally Posted by junker1 View Post
    so does the ox actually stop the s/hydroxide from working?, hence the " neutralizing". and could you please elaborate for a minute on why to neutralize asap if the wood is fuzzed or furred.

thanks Steven
    Yes, the oxalic instantly stops the SH reaction.It also brightens the wood. As for the "fuzzies", of the spindles - and I'm only addressing PT decks - are usually made with new growth lumber and have more of the softer heartwood - which makes them more susceptible to "fuzzing".

Safety Note: When working with SH, if you get it on your clothes, rinsing with water alone will not stop it from eating your flesh. If I get any on me, I apply some oxalic, then rinse with water. I speak from experience that it's critical to neutralize the SH that you get on your skin or clothing. In a pinch, vinegar - even some soda that has citric acid will work.
    John Orr
    Former UAMCC Board Member/Treasurer
    Low-Pressure Exterior Cleaning
    757/718-5442
    http://www.exteriorcleaning.com

Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com

Thanks,

extra thanks for the saftey note. gloves, eyewear, and all the needed ppe will be used. I am a STRONG BELIEVER IN SAFTEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Steven Mendez
    207-935-4503

If you apply oxalic acid to your skin to neutralize the stipper, don't you have to worry about the effects of the acid itself on your skin?

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information