• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Prevailing Wage

Randy Borio

Hello again, anybody here have any experience bidding a job with prevailing wage? Specifically what would a pressure washer operator be considered? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Call me if you want 815-481-2292

Chris Tucker

Hello again, anybody here have any experience bidding a job with prevailing wage? Specifically what would a pressure washer operator be considered? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Call me if you want 815-481-2292
WE pay our roof cleaners and groundspeople on straight commission, so much per job.
If they sell other work to the neighbors, , they get a sales commission and their pay for doing the job.
They make it on BOTH ends:)

Randy Borio

I do NOT want this to turn into an argument about union vs non union so please keep that in mind. Prevailing wage is the rate that a union worker would get for doing the job. It is also the rate that must be paid for any job done in Illinois (and many other states) for any work being done that is paid for with public (tax) money. I called the Illinois Department of Labor today and got my answer, a worker operating a pressure washer cleaning a building would be considered a Laborer. His rate of pay in the county where the job we will be bidding is $28.53 per hour. Since the workers will be our employees not hired out of the Union Hall we won't have to pay the benefits like health insurance etc to the union. Those dollars will have to be paid to our workers. They total almost an additional $22.00 per hour. If we get this job our crew will be getting paid just under $50.00 per hour. EACH. Every worker we have on site. Just an FYI. Even paying the union rate we will still be subject to the Union "Rat Patrol" giant inflatable rat that they bring to work sites to show people we don't hire union workers. Won't that be sweet at a cemetery? We are preparing to bid cleaning a mausoleum. My complaint is why should we hire someone else for this job when our regular crew has stood by us for three years. I know this post kind of rambles but...

John Doherty

We have prevailing wage in NJ too, won't give my opinion on that. Earlier this year a landscape contractor customer of mine was telling me he had to bring on 1 union guy for the project he had to keep the peace.

Randy Borio

I refuse to bring in one guy from the hall. I have been a union man all my life. I have been a union officer for almost 20 years. But I refuse to submit to that kind of tactic. Let them set up an "informational picket" at the cemetery if we get this bid. I don't see that ending well for any of us. I will have the crew join the union that I belong to. I will even pay the initiation fee. Sometimes the union goes to far. Sometimes they go over the edge. This would be one of those times, if we get the bid.

Guy Blackmon

Thank God I'm in the South and don't have to deal with that crap.

Randy, I think it's somewhere around $50.00 a Man, again may be higher in different areas.

Steven Mendez

your probably right,federal is anytghing over 2 grand. i was reading the website from maine, it said anything under 50k and you was exempt.

Last edited:

Bill Booz

UAMCC Board of Directors
Prevailing wage jobs will make your guys very happy :)

I was a union pipe insulator for 7 years. They will either be classified as laborers or painters. I would assume painters as was said above. Before acting on that assumption you can call your local painters union chapter and ask them if they include union pressure washers. The prevailing wage is the mechanics wage with benefits package and that is why it gets real high. I very much doubt that it is $50 an hour, probably more like $36-$42. I know steam fitters and steel riggers that make less than that.

Bill Booz

UAMCC Board of Directors
I just looked at that link you posted Brian. If that's right than all the unions on the east coast are getting screwed and need to move to Nevada.

Douglas Hicks

If the job is small, and you do it, you do not need to pay yourself the prevailing wage. But, if you have anyone help load the van, mix chemical, they get prevailing wage. If you bill the job, you do not have to pay yourself the prevailing wage. But if your bookkeeper bills the job, sends the statement, or deposits the check, keeps track of hours and writes checks for anyone that does the work, she gets prevailing wage.

But, there should be a book or on-line resource that explains the rules and regulation. I have decided not to bid prevailing wage jobs. too much crap.

Randy Borio

There is no minimum dollar amount on the bid price. Everybody working the job gets the rate. I talked to the Illinois Department of Labor and the crew would be classified as laborers. Also the rate is just under $50 per hour, after all things are added in. Then we add in the payroll service mark up for book keeping and work comp and we have a cost per man hour of $75.00. What a rate.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Steven Mendez

this is what i read
Maine has a state prevailing wage law for public works contracts valued at $50,000 or greater (ME Rev. Stat. Tit. 26 Sec. 1303et seq.). The law requires contract provisions regarding:
Wages. Under Maine law, contracts for public works must include in their specifications minimum wages for various classifications of employees. Contract rates may not be lower than prevailing rates--including the value of prevailing employee benefits--established by state labor authorities by ...

federal,

The Davis Bacon and Related Acts (DBRA) requires all contractors and subcontractors performing work on federal or District of Columbia construction contracts or federally assisted contracts in excess of $2,000 to pay their laborers and mechanics not less than the prevailing wage rates and fringe benefits for corresponding classes of laborers and mechanics employed on similar projects in the area. The prevailing wage rates and fringe benefits are determined by the Secretary of Labor for inclusion in covered

Bill Booz

UAMCC Board of Directors
I have a friend that says, this is what makes America great, 20 levels of bureaucratic tape getting all kinds of people paid. Of course he is a lawyer, so I guess that is how he gets paid.
To guys like you and me, its a big mess !!