• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Are You Being "Visible" In Your Market?

Guy Blackmon

I've talked a great deal about this subject to guys that tell me "The Phones Just Not Ringing". How are you being "Visible" in your market? How are you making your "Brand" Visible in your market?

Have you ever walked into a convenience store stopped and counted the times you saw the words Coca-Cola? I counted 13 one time. So whats this got to do with your business??? Visibility makes you drink Coca-Cola....Visibility will make your phone ring. You want your Company as visible as Coca-Cola...I know that's impossible but you get what I'm saying.

If no one knows you're out there how are they supposed to call you? If you look like every other pressure washer out there why should I call you??? Are you standing out???

I'm not talking about guys that have been doing this for 5-10 years I'm talking to guys that have been doing this 1-3 years and seem to be stuck & can't get over the hump.

Does your vehicle or equipment draw attention? How about the way you dress? Hows your website looking? Are you using bandit signs? Postcards? Door-hangers? Do you leave business cards everywhere you go. Do you know what the 5 foot rule is? Are you doing home shows?

I'll tell you one of my super secrets.......I don't own a personal vehicle and haven't since I started our business. Wherever I go so goes our Company. I'm told all the time...Man I see your trucks everywhere!!....We have 2 vans and a box truck, but that's how I know being visible works.

What are you doing to be "Visible"?

Jason Reider

Great post Guy. This is something I need to sit down and plan out this winter. I have websites ranking well, truck lettered and driven everywhere, and doing other small items you mentioned; but I need to do a lot more.

Guy Blackmon

Your down time is the best time to do this Jason. Some things cost very little some cost more. You hit the nail on the head though.........Have A Plan!! All the time, every time, have a plan!!!

Cullen Adams

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"If you're attacking your market from multiple positions and your competition isn't, you have all the advantage and it will show up in your increased success and income".
jay abraham
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Jason Reider

I'm working on a direct mail plan for residential in 2013. This is something I have never done, and I would appreciate any advice. I'm kind of lost on who to get a quality mailing list from and a company that would take care of the mailing and/or post card printing.

My question is how often do you mail postcards out? Keep in mind, I am in Pennsylvania, and our first nice day is usually mid to late March. Would you suggest Early March or even February as the first mailing, and then continue mailing each month through June? Or, would it be better to mail each month up to September/October or another schedule?

Also, I was thinking of using 2 or 3 different post card designs to mail out. Would this be best, or is one design enough?

Any advice or guidance is welcome. Thanks!

Guy Blackmon

I'm working on a direct mail plan for residential in 2013. This is something I have never done, and I would appreciate any advice. I'm kind of lost on who to get a quality mailing list from and a company that would take care of the mailing and/or post card printing.

My question is how often do you mail postcards out? Keep in mind, I am in Pennsylvania, and our first nice day is usually mid to late March. Would you suggest Early March or even February as the first mailing, and then continue mailing each month through June? Or, would it be better to mail each month up to September/October or another schedule?

Also, I was thinking of using 2 or 3 different post card designs to mail out. Would this be best, or is one design enough?

Any advice or guidance is welcome. Thanks!

Jason, I don't do residential mailing but I will share advice that I have read, and what I do know about the mailings we do.

If you know your service area then you know the areas you want to hit. Check with USPS on their EDDM program. Be target area specific, ain't no money on the poor side of town.

I would start right before your season starts, another mailing before the pollen season, and one right after pollen season, then the last one around July or August.

Yes, definitely have several different designs. We currently have 4 different designs.

Jason Reider

Thanks for the advice Guy. Since you don't do residential mailing, is it safe to assume you rely on your website, being visible, and word of mouth to bring in residential jobs?

Guy Blackmon

Thanks for the advice Guy. Since you don't do residential mailing, is it safe to assume you rely on your website, being visible, and word of mouth to bring in residential jobs?

That and a few other tricks.....We have been so visible in our market for so long that we are almost achieving that "Coca-Cola" visibility.

Our Spring brochures & post cards will be in next week.

Here's a few other things....Post-It note dispensers is a tip that Ron gave me.

more stuff iphone 004resz.jpg

Jason Reider

I remember seeing one of Ron's YouTube videos about the notepad. These are simple but great ideas to implement.

Man, I have so much more to learn with this business.

Guy Blackmon

Post-It dispensers (heart) I found on sale for $5.00, sticker cost .50

Don't get cheap pens, I think these cost .45 a piece everybody loves a good working pen....pens.com

Pad are local $130 for 200

Chris Apple

Jason, a local mailing house can help you with the mailings. They can help you with everything from the list to the printing.

We mailed a lot of post cards in 2010 and 2011. I was having our cards printed through got print and letting the mailing house handle the rest. It cost us 32 cents a piece to mail 8 1/2 by 11 jumbo sized cards.

I disagree with Guy about how to do it. You do need to do multiple mailings to have any luck at all AND the cards DO need to look the same.

Now that I've said all of that listen to me closely Jason...
Don't waste your money mailing a stack of postcards. Even with the best plan you'll find that your trading dollars and would be better off staying home.There are better ways to make money. I know.

The best way I've found is just what Guy says. Get out and hustle and be visible.

If you still insist on mailing a lot of cards call me. I'll be honest and help you lose as little as possible.

Jason Reider

Thanks for the advice Chris. I am still in the planning process for 2013, and haven't committed to anything yet.

I am taking Guy's advice and your advice very seriously. So please, keep being blunt and to the point so I can avoid any costly mistakes. I greatly appreciate it.