• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

pump packing problems?

Vic Irish

What is the difference between the packing on a TSF 2021 and a TS2021. Both are 20mm, but the TSF cost 2x as much.

If Peter Piper practically pumped peanut butter packing, how many packs of peanut butter packing can Peter Piper practically pump?

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

What I meant to say is, what is pump packing and what is it's purpose?
Still learning,
vic

Gene Beck

Pump packing is the internal seals and seats that allow the pump to build pressure. They are considered "wear parts" ie they are designed to wear out before more expensiveand critical parts wear out. Think rings on piston. Loss of pressure is one indication of packings going out. I would love to hear more on this subject as I am very weak in this end of business

Vic Irish

Pump packing is the internal seals and seats that allow the pump to build pressure. They are considered "wear parts" ie they are designed to wear out before more expensiveand critical parts wear out. Think rings on piston. Loss of pressure is one indication of packings going out. I would love to hear more on this subject as I am very weak in this end of business

Thank you, Gene.
I really appreciate all of you answering my questions, so one person doesn't get stuck having to do it.
Now I'm trying to visualize a v shape and a u shape, wondering why that should make a difference.
Not sure of the difference between a seal and packing.
Doug, does your class go into repairing machines?
Still learning,
vic

Russ Johnson

UAMCC Associate Member
Thank you, Gene.
I really appreciate all of you answering my questions, so one person doesn't get stuck having to do it.
Now I'm trying to visualize a v shape and a u shape, wondering why that should make a difference.
A "V" packing is the same thickness throughout, a "U" packing is thicker at the edges. Imagine a U inside a squared off shape.
Not sure of the difference between a seal and packing.
Same thing as a seal and a sea lion...same critter, different name. Many use "packing" to refer to water seals, and "seals" to refer to oil seals, but not always.
Doug, does your class go into repairing machines?

Still learning,
vic
If you ever have repair questions, please feel free to call or email me.