• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

My Youtube video Deck, fence,.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctdrdMqh1as

I put this together to help drum some new business come spring and hope to get some rankings up on the search engines please let me know what you think so I can improve on the next one. Winter has set in on us here in the Southwest & Springfield MO and temptures make it impossable to spray outside so I'm trying my hand at making a video for the company. Thank you in advance for any views or advice. I hope I posted this in the right section if not please feel free to move it.
Pete

Last edited:
Hey Pete, do you use that small 12" surface cleaner a lot on your decks? What pressure are you using?

No I use it mostly on vertical surfaces and ledge work tops of wall etc. lord it would take quite some time to do larger decks with it but it would be better than just a wand. It is small and I keep it in the attachment box so it is with us all the time I have a older Alison swivel in it now instead of what it came with. It makes for shorter work on vertical services that need to be cleaned it does not work well on lap style siding to hard to keep moving with the laps on the siding.

For deck work I use the one pictured below a 2 bar, pushing 3500 psi @ 4 gpm using 2.5 nozzles (a bit oversized) using a 25 degree pattern. This unit has adjustable height wheels just like the deck of a lawn mower, I can adjust up and down to get the best cleaning with out gouging or feathering of the wood. You will always find some heart wood that will feather but for the most part it works quite well I have not seen to may other like this one it is a Pettibone or made for them. It's all aluminium deck and stainless bar and swivel. We have four other surface cleaner to use on concrete the one I use the most for concrete now is a 20" floater.

Attachments

• deck cleaner.jpg
    deck cleaner.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Cameron Queen

Can't say I've ever considered using a surface cleaner to clean a deck like that :confused:
What chemicals are you applying first? Video looks good :)

Sent from my Galaxy S3 Android

For most of the decks in this area we use outdoor wood bleach & oxalic acid I was in the antique restoration business for a while and learned how to use it there, with some Dawn, and powered oxi cleaner in a few cases we add some powered borax laundry soap. Not trying to be vague but it all depends on the deck. Some here use regular bleach but it can react badly with zinc plated nails and I don't want to take the chance. We do washing for a couple of painters one has us use SH on some of his projects but he is coming over to our cleaner letting us do what we do best. Another painter has us use Sherman Williams deck stripper (which by volume is water and "caustic soda") so he can warranty his work then use the neutralizer they request. My choice if the deck is really bad we like the Olympic deck cleaner mixed with a bit of soap most of the time our mix works for what we do. We spray on what ever cleaner we're going to work with and while it dwells wand wash the areas around the edges and then complete it with the small surface cleaner. Then if necessary spray on the neutralizer (as directed) and in all cases rinse with a four nozzle water broom. We use the same method to clean steps, landings, pickets and rails. Go slow and light so you don't damage any thing is our best advice.

Last edited:

Vic Irish

Nice video, Pete!:cool:
I appreciate the before and after aspect, but want to see more videos with action shots.

I'll bet your customers would like to see some "how it's done" in your videos, too.
Until very recently, I had no idea that surface cleaners could even be used on walls and fences.

At 4 min 16 sec there is a picture of some graffiti on a fence.
Did you use a surface cleaner or wand on that? Did you use a chemical also?

Thank you for sharing this, it is a great advertising tool.
Pictures can actually be priceless!
Well done, I loved the music...
vic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctdrdMqh1as

I put this together to help drum some new business come spring and hope to get some rankings up on the search engines please let me know what you think so I can improve on the next one. Winter has set in on us here in the Southwest & Springfield MO and temptures make it impossable to spray outside so I'm trying my hand at making a video for the company. Thank you in advance for any views or advice. I hope I posted this in the right section if not please feel free to move it.
Pete

Nice video, Pete!:cool:
I appreciate the before and after aspect, but want to see more videos with action shots.

I'll bet your customers would like to see some "how it's done" in your videos, too.
Until very recently, I had no idea that surface cleaners could even be used on walls and fences.

At 4 min 16 sec there is a picture of some graffiti on a fence.
Did you use a surface cleaner or wand on that? Did you use a chemical also?

Thank you for sharing this, it is a great advertising tool.
Pictures can actually be priceless!
Well done, I loved the music...
vic

The fence was quite well oxidized which helped to keep the graffiti contained for the most part in that layer, just used a wand on it. Treated it with some cleaner scrubbed it in with a stiff fibber bristle brush on the graffitied parts let it dwell and then down streamed the whole fence rinse and dry. Had a bit of shadowing but just repeated the process on that part again before leaving.
Thanks for the feedback I'm for the most part a one-man show so I have trouble and forget to take any action shots I do have one of me washing a deck with the surface cleaner here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF3_uq1fBsg but that is it I'll try to get some in the future.
Pete

Vic Irish

is there a way to email thank you's for replys in here?
I'm sure Pete would appreciate some appreciation, but I don't want to plug the forum up with a bunch of thank you's...
How do I email thanks for replys when I don't have more questions?
Thank you all, in case I've missed some...
vic

The fence was quite well oxidized which helped to keep the graffiti contained for the most part in that layer, just used a wand on it. Treated it with some cleaner scrubbed it in with a stiff fibber bristle brush on the graffitied parts let it dwell and then down streamed the whole fence rinse and dry. Had a bit of shadowing but just repeated the process on that part again before leaving.
Thanks for the feedback I'm for the most part a one-man show so I have trouble and forget to take any action shots I do have one of me washing a deck with the surface cleaner here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF3_uq1fBsg but that is it I'll try to get some in the future.
Pete