• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

In answer to questions about using a surface cleaner on a deck

After I posted my last video a few day ago, I had some folks ask if I really used a surface cleaner on a deck for cleaning. I thought everyone did. This short video shows us using the surface cleaner on a deck. Deck work is all I try to use this one for it has adjustable wheels on it and I can raise and lower it to get the results I need it is also very light to tote up and down the steps. The major thing is to lean it back to start never start it on the deck and let off the trigger before stopping and never never stand still while it is running. It's only 16" with 2 nozzles they are oversized by a half size and on 25 degree pattern (reducing pressure not to gouge) it all aluminium deck with stainless bar and swivel made for Pettibone. I have used this on all the decks we have done in the last two plus years except one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF3_uq1fBsg the segment is near the front. Hope this clears up how I use it. let me know what you think.
Pete

Vic Irish

Thank you, Pete!
That helps a lot, but I still have some questions. What is the blue surface cleaner? How big, and would it work with a box store pw?
Are all surface cleaners adjustable? How do you oversize something?
What is a 25 degree pattern? Why do you go across the boards. I'd be tempted to go the same direction as the boards...
Still learning,
vic
Filling in till Joseph takes up some of the slack again...

Vic in answer to the questions form above:

1) The little blue one is a 12" cleaner closer to 11.5 but called a 12" I would think it might work with a box store pw but you would have to see and to match the nozzles to the size and out put of the machine. If it took a #4 nozzle you would need 2 #2 size nozzles since there are 2 spraying heads in there. I would need to know the psi of the pressure washer and the out put of the gpm to figure the nozzle size.
2) No but you can tune them some what with a nozzle
3) Oversize is using a nozzle or a tip with a bigger hole in it than what is needed to make the machine run at its top pressure performance. A bigger hole in the nozzle we lose pressure by letting more water pass freely through this is the idea of DS making a soft-wash system with a pressure washer.
4) A 25 degree pattern is the spread of the spray that comes out of the nozzle forming a fan shape spray, 25 = 25 degrees wide, 0 15 25 40 degrees are the most popular sizes the smaller the fan the tighter the pattern and the more the water stream is concentrated thus more cleaning power. 25 degrees wide yields a softer cleaning a wider surface area, more surface spread equals a gentler covered area but still offers enough push to turn the bar.
5) I just go which ever way is the best run at the time across or with does not really matter when your cleaning in a circle the water fan will cross the board some ware in the circle with a wand go with the grain if possible though to reduce stripping and crosscutting the grain.
Good luck with your projects. I have a bit more info in a blog that is written for residential customers to help them under stand a bit on how a pressure washer works. I get a lot of question and we have a lot of splash and dash artist in the area. So to help them arm them-self with some basic knowledge and to keep from getting ripped off we started the blog and add to it from time to time. It's simple but does explain some of the nozzles and what they do and how come they work the way they do, http://cleanedbypete.blogspot.com/ remember this is for the customer so it is a simple and has brief description figure I might get a bit more technical after all the basic info is covered.

Last edited: