• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Attack the village idiot?

Terry Miller

I have been watching about six different BBS for the last 5+ years. All different and most very helpful. The knowledge and dedication of some is amazing. People dedicated to growing their business and helping others. What we want to accomplish on the UAMCC and all sites.
One negative thought:
Why do people spend so much time attacking others? I see post after post, condeming the LOW BALLER, village idiot, on and on. Some people spend most of their valuable time posting negative thoughts and info about others. If I spent 1 hr. a week posting, that is 50+ hrs. of information per year. If you make $20. / hr. thats $1,000. of your time. Some go on as to make up ficticious characters, videos and songs about these folks. Amazing how much time is crapped away on some one we don't know. '
Now on the other hand, if you spent the same time sharing positive ideas and growing your business, you'd probably make a lot more then the $1,000. Also gaining knowledge and fresh ideas.
What is the benefit of attacking others? What is the benefit of growing our businesses? You only have so many hrs. to live on this earth. Wouldn't it be better to do it making someone else and yourself better?
Just a thought.

Henry Bockman

Hi Tegrey,

Very good post and I completly agree! To be honest I wonder why so many people including myself spend time on these BBS's. There is so much bad information on the BBS's and meaningless posts on some there just isn't much value in them. If someone is trying to start a company and get it running well, why read BBS posts? Pick up the phone and call someone instead and get out there and learn!

Ken Fenner

Terry,

I agree there is much time wasted on forums but there is also a plethora of good people, insightful thoughts and just plain smart people. As in any any gathering place you will have different agendas from different people. The BBS's are a social gathering of like minded individuals. The arguing, the banter and the off-topic postings can tend to muddy the educational waters a bit but I can generally say I have learned more from the boards than I would have just pulling the trigger and feeling around by trial and error. More important to me are some of the friends I have made along the way. Hopefully I have contributed as much as I have taken away.

If one looks at anything in life from television to their own customer database they realize that about 20% of what is going on is actually meaningful.

ccpressureclean

Simply put, if I didn't spend time on the forums, or if I tried going at this business without them at all, I would probably have never made it past my second year. They are the single most important asset that I can attribute my success to.

Henry Bockman

I said pick up the phone and give someone a call. I guess I should have followed that up and said, then work with them. I wouldn't suggest anyone just start blasting away to learn.

Henry Bockman

Hey Lance,

Not to put down BBS's or anything but I'd suggest finding yourself a mentor in your region that's been in the biz for 10 years or so, and see if you could work with them on some jobs and use them for advice when you need it.

I think that would be more beneficial to your company than BBS's. This is just a guess but I'd say probably 85% of the people on BBS's have been in the industry for less than 5 years. On average most PW companies don't last more than 5 years.

ccpressureclean

Hey Lance,

Not to put down BBS's or anything but I'd suggest finding yourself a mentor in your region that's been in the biz for 10 years or so, and see if you could work with them on some jobs and use them for advice when you need it.

I think that would be more beneficial to your company than BBS's. This is just a guess but I'd say probably 85% of the people on BBS's have been in the industry for less than 5 years. On average most PW companies don't last more than 5 years.

I here ya, and I think there is a lot o truth to that, but none the less, If I were a new company, I would still rather listen and learn from hundreds of pressure washing companies, then to hook up with one guy that has been in the business for 10 years and cross my fingers that he's teaching me the best methods.
Two heads are better than one, and several hundred heads are better than two. I love getting new ideas from others, and good ideas don't always come from the guy that's been in the business for 20+ years.
As far as finding a mentor in the pressure washing business, I think I'm a little beyond that point, at least in this business. There's always room for improvement, but I'm in my 6th year, and I've got things going the way I like them for now. That doesn't mean I still don't have much to learn. This business is always changing just like any other, which is why I find forums so important. I would never be able to keep up with all the changes and improvements in equipment, chemicals, and methods without the forums.
The forums are an easy way to keep your fingers to the pulse of the pressure washing and roof cleaning industries.

Terry Miller

Lance,
Having a mentor for a peticular reason is good. Trying to learn from an individual to me is good. Having many individuals to me is great. I agree with you. I learned more in five minutes at a networking function then five months working by myself. Do the math! LOL
I guess we got off subject through the info here. My goal was to have people look at the time wasted picking on the lowballer, un educated, cheap, etc. I try and help anyone, once. Maybe twice. I have individuals who I have brought into PDCA meetings 2-3 times. Tried to sign them up. No do. They don't see the value. Funny thing is, they always ask me questions when we see each other. I have taken a silent treatment stand this last year. Some people want info handed to them. I believe in working for everything. Nothing is free. Our members in the UAMCC will receive info and gain knowledge through the programs to come. This will be an individual who wants to grow their business and is willing to work for it. I refer to the Village Idiot as "One who has no desire to grow or gain. Thank You.