• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

New guy needing HELP!

Robby Cothern

I have been in the painting business for 14 years and have done very little pressure washing. This year I would like to do a lot more!
Right now I have a decent cold water pressure washer, but was looking to upgrade a little.
I am mostly wanting to do residential, but not sure how big I need to get started with?????

For someone starting out, is a Hot water pressure washer needed?
I did a vinyl house last week, scrubbed it down with a cleaner and pressure washed it, turned out great!

Also, do you mix cleaner in your tanks?

Any help would be great!!!!!!

Mike Woolley

UAMCC Associate Member
I always say to have a machine that is versatile so that you can do other types of jobs where heat/pressure is needed. The last thing you want is to not be capable of doing a portion of the job because you are lacking equipment. That being said....if you are just starting out then do as much reading about chemicals, equipment, and techniques that you can find from vets on here or other boards. Or go to one of the events and you'll learn lots of good info.

I think you'll get a few different opinions but this is mine.....

Doug Rucker

UAMCC Board of Directors
Hi Robby, great to see you here. I agree with what Mike said above about having the equipment to do whatever comes your way. The ability to heat your water can help you in so many different ways. Now that being said, I am not one that believes having hot water for residential cleaning is totally necessary. If you can afford to go with a hot water unit then go for it, but if you can't, then cold water will work fine. I have hot water unit but rarely use hot water for a residential cleaning. Only time I do is if I am removing oil stains, paint stains or overspray, etc. It is also nice to have heat if you need to mix a powder chem.

For mixing chems it all depends on what I am cleaning. I usually Downstream out of a 5 gallon bucket for a house wash, or if I am cleaning a roof with my roof pump system, and then cleaning the house, I will just use the tank that I am using for that.

Bare minimum I would suggest a cold water 3000-3500 PSI 4gpm unit to get started, but if you can go 5 to 8 gpm that will help your productivity and cleaning speed improve drastically.

Hope this helps and feel free to call me anytime if I can help.

Chris Apple

I agree with these guys that the hot water is nice if you can afford it, but To be honest I can't remember the last time I turned it on for a residential job.

We run 8gpm at 3000 psi, but or half the price (i beleive) you can go for the 4gpm and do just as good of a job. Only takes a little longer.

Gene Beck

Good info. If I was starting over in residential I would definite go with 3000 psi @ 8+ gpm. Will literally save you at least 30% of your on job time. I downstream my chems. I have heard of others x-jetting. pluses on both and minus's on both. You can shoot farther with a x-jet, but I think down streaming is less labor intensive. We are actually keeping an x-jet on trailer now for when we have high winds or have to shoot over 2 stories.

Chris Apple

I have been in the painting business for 14 years and have done very little pressure washing. This year I would like to do a lot more!
Right now I have a decent cold water pressure washer, but was looking to upgrade a little.
I am mostly wanting to do residential, but not sure how big I need to get started with?????

For someone starting out, is a Hot water pressure washer needed?
I did a vinyl house last week, scrubbed it down with a cleaner and pressure washed it, turned out great!

Also, do you mix cleaner in your tanks?

Any help would be great!!!!!!

Let us know if you have any other questions.