• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Roof Cleaning Chemical?

Robby Cothern

Can someone tell me where i can find a 'Roof Cleaning Chemical', or does everyone have their own formula? I just cant find a product just for roof cleaning. I have read about mixing bleach, water and TPS. But it dont give a formula.
Also, what does it mean when eveyone says they use 12%?

Cameron Queen

12% means SH, which is shorthand for Sodium Hypochlorite. People have their own preferences on mix but many have been kind enough to share from time to time... As always the 'Search' function is your friend! :thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy S3 Android

David Besse

Welcome Robby!

Just like what Cameron said! Also, jump into the "Roof Cleaning" section on this fourm and read much as you can to get a better understanding.

AC Lockyer

UAMCC Associate Member
Can someone tell me where i can find a 'Roof Cleaning Chemical', or does everyone have their own formula? I just cant find a product just for roof cleaning. I have read about mixing bleach, water and TPS. But it dont give a formula.
Also, what does it mean when eveyone says they use 12%?

Welcome Bobby,

I'd be happy to help. 12% SH is pool bleach. Most roof cleaning softwash solutions use a mixture of 50 gallons bleach and 50 gallos water with a soap of some kind. I use 30 gallons bleach and 70 gallons water with 64 to 128 oz of Green Wash depending on the pitch of the roof. Here is a mixology chart, http://softwashsystems.com/page_mixology.htm

Hope this helps,

AC

Dave Dykstra

Contributing Member
Bobby, it is not a true statement that "most roof cleaners" use 50% mixture. You can find the true answer on here and on other forums.

J

John Marentay

What we recommend with our "Roof Kleen" product is 2 gallons of soap - 66 gallons of water - 32 gallons of 12% SH to give about a 4% total SH content.

Makes it easy, with a 100 gallon tank, you put in your Roof Kleen, add the bleach, and top it off with water.

The soap is there in this case to add 'cling' to the mixture which is what allows you to use the 4% mix.

Chris Tucker

What we recommend with our "Roof Kleen" product is 2 gallons of soap - 66 gallons of water - 32 gallons of 12% SH to give about a 4% total SH content.

Makes it easy, with a 100 gallon tank, you put in your Roof Kleen, add the bleach, and top it off with water.

The soap is there in this case to add 'cling' to the mixture which is what allows you to use the 4% mix.
Now that is a sensible, honest roof cleaning mix!
Do NOT use a 50 percent chlorine 50 percent water mix, unless you have a cousin in the re landscaping business.
Yes, a 50 percent roof cleaning mix cleans faster, but it also kills plants better too.
Remember, what goes up, must come down, and the run off from a 50 percent mixture can not only kill plants, it can also alter the soil PH and properties so nothing will ever grow there again, except maybe some weeds.

Bruce Sullivan

Contributing Member
Many talk about the mix they use and in most cases it is standard ratio about 33% SH to 66% Water and than some good roof snot works well for surfactant. Now for cedar wood roofs nix the SH, that is a whole different mix. But for common asphalt that mix will work fine. When mixing your solution there is always the concern of run off damage to landscaping. In most cases many do not rinse the roof. I rinse every roof I clean which cuts the mix greatly and I don't have to worry about a rain. We also use a run off system right from the downspout that takes all the mix off property. Go to www.cedarroofclean.com click videos and go to equipment/runoff system and you will see what I mean. If you want information on where to purchase the runoff system materials just e-mail me and I'll forward such. Just take your mix off property and no worry other than over spray and with a good ground person no worry.

Gene Beck

FYI for years everyone (and I mean everyone) used Liquid Dawn as a surfactant and lot's of good cleaners still do. The surfactant is needed to lower the surface tension of the water/bleach mixture. I haven't used "roof snot" or "roof kleen" so I can not comment either way as to the effectiveness or quality of the product. We buy a product called Amonix Lo for our surfactant in bulk from a chem supply house. As far as "bleach"? Well, that's a generic term like "aspirin" or "scotch" tape. That's why if you buy your SH from a pool supply house it doesn't say "bleach" on the bottle. I haven't been able to find any SH at a pool supply stronger than 10% which is fine. Used it with great success. We now purchase our SH in bulk 55 gallon drums at 12.5% Unless you are doing a lot of roofs or using chemical for anything else, stick with pool supply SH as you can buy only what you need. It's about 2x bulk pricing and as I said 10% instead of 12.5% but you don't have to worry about it going bad. (And it will) Here's a little tip that will get you out of a jam, they are now selling 8% at grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. Just read back of bottle and it will tell you the % feel free to shoot me a email or pm if you would like a statement about SH from an Environmental Testing Technician here in Houston. Take Care

There are a number of different roof cleaning chemicals that you can buy on the internet and some of them might be worth looking into if you have no other options (just make sure they don't require the use of a power washing wand). Ideally, however, you would use a cleaning mix that is bleach-based. Perhaps you've heard somewhere that bleach is "bad" or will hurt your roof. What a bunch of garbage. You go swimming in your pool, don't you? If you're willing to swim in it and get it in your eyes and on your skin then why are you so scared of getting it on your roof? Roof cleaning bleach is the same chemical as swimming pool bleach and is perfectly safe for your roof and home if handled by a professional. Anybody that tells you otherwise is probably selling you a fad product that requires pressure!

Chemically cleaning your roof is both safe and extremely effective. Exclusive chemical mixture cleans on contact, dissolving mold/mildew at the root and depositing a preventative algaecide in its place. The algaecide is not rinsed from your roof surface, which allows complete penetration for the longest duration between cleanings. Generally tile roofs will need full cleanings every 2.5 years and shingle roofs every 3 years. http://www.liquidroof.net/liquid-epdm-rubber.html