• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Price vs Time

Dan Dykstra

Contributing Member
Who has gone to do a job that you quoted for one price based on whatever formula you use to quote your work, but when you were finished you discovered that the job went very quickly and you got done in a very short amount of time. Has anyone adjusted the price for the homeowner because of this?

Eric Holmes

Contributing Member
Hey Dan,

I use a method of price per sqft. Right now I use .15/sqft because there isnt a demand in my area and pressure wash users low ball me. In most cases, Im cleaning 1500 sqft homes in 30 mins to an hour. I don't change my price since Im using the same amount of chemical for the jobs.

Tim Teed

I will never do that because I can't charge more if I underbid on a project. If my guys make good time, I tell them to create extra value by cleaning something else and then informing homeowner that we threw in an extra service for no charge and and maybe ask for a review or referral . Whenever customer asks how long it will take, we give a range and then say sometimes it comes of quick sometimes longer.

Randy Wahl

Contributing Member
Think of it as "flat rate" work. If the job pays 2 hours and the guy gets it done in 1.5 he or she made money. It also makes it look bad to the customer if you cut your rate.

Doug Gore

I fully disagree that it "looks bad" if you cut your rate.

It really is a "Depends" question but I would cut my rate a bit because I am 100% transparent and open with my clients. I recently had a house wash that included gutter. When I bid the job I bid it as a "hand wash" of the gutters. I hit them with my house mix and they came out great! So I pulled the homeowner out, informed her and told her I would cut the price off the invoice.

Honesty pays.....and in this case it paid right then and there. Her reply "Thank you....how about you clean a few windows and keep the money?" it was about $150 extra dollars.

Thomas McMillan

Contributing Member
I fully disagree that it "looks bad" if you cut your rate.It really is a "Depends" question but I would cut my rate a bit because I am 100% transparent and open with my clients. I recently had a house wash that included gutter. When I bid the job I bid it as a "hand wash" of the gutters. I hit them with my house mix and they came out great! So I pulled the homeowner out, informed her and told her I would cut the price off the invoice.Honesty pays.....and in this case it paid right then and there. Her reply "Thank you....how about you clean a few windows and keep the money?" it was about $150 extra dollars.
Agreed, can't tell you how many times a reduced price or a small "extra" that was thrown in resulted in more work or a tip!

J

jjwilliams32981

How is dropping price, then doing an extra service for the same price cost effective? Why not praise yourself on efficiency and maybe give your guys a thataboy if they are doing great instead? Doing it cheaper because of having the knowledge, expertise, equipment, uniforms, personnel, and so on seems silly to me.

Doug Rucker

UAMCC Board of Directors
Yes...we have reduced price many times in that situation...no better value to the customer than of them to see you put money back in their pocket. Believe me, they will love you to death and sing your praises to everyone.

Ron Musgraves

Past President
Staff member
I adjust price all the time, build a trust with commercial clients.

When looking at your bids in the future they know they are honest.

Also the same clients when a issue if needing to charge more came into play they where way more understanding.

Client customer trust is the magic in working a repeat clientele. Soon they stop asking the price. They request you just do it!

Ron Musgraves
www.uamcc.org
"Sidewalk cleaning"

Rance Tilley

Contributing Member
I have adjusted my price down several times with different clients. It shows your honest and not trying to take advantage and people respect that. Guess who's company those people called the next time they wanted service? Mine! Like Ron said, " Repeat Clientele."