Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Scrubbing gutters
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Scrubbing gutters

Default Scrubbing gutters

How many of you scrub gutters during a house wash, and how long does it take you? Do you up charge, or include it in the price? Ive done it a couple of times and the house wash take 45 minutes and then gutters took 1 1/2 hours. That was a one story 2500 sqft house, and we do alot of very large houses (5000 sqft+). To scrub the gutters on a 5000 sqft house would take me 3 hours.

Im just curious how everyone else does it.
    Scott Davis
    Confident Roof Cleaning

Default Re: Scrubbing gutters

I want to know if you scrub what kind poles you use how do you keep your brush head from unscrewing them selfs

Gutters are an upsell. With a two man crew on a dual gun machine no time is really added to the wash. One man is applying chemical while the other follows him with scrubbing with a 24' (~36' if needed) Coress extension pole. The second man scrubs, then rinses and moves on. When first guy is finished applying chemical, he rolls up his hoses, shuts off his side and gives rinser 10 gpm to finish quicker.
    Ken Fenner
    PressurePros, Inc
    House Washing
    Pressure Washing Companies

Included in price. Adds maybe 10 minutes. Lock tite on threads. More or less what Ken said. Pump up straight on gutters, brush, rinse.
    William Page
    www.offdutyfiremanpressurewashing.com
    919-524-3875
    Ken's friend.

10 Minutes? On what size house?

Everyone I see doing it hand scrubs them because they say that it takes hard scrubbing to come clean. And the couple of times I have done it, that proved to be true.

The houses below would have taken all day to scrub the gutters clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Davis
    Confident Roof Cleaning

I've stopped mentioning them to most folks - I don't even want to get into the discussion about scrubbing gutters anymore. I don't like doing them for less than a 1-1.50 per linear foot, especially when they are 30 feet in the air. Every now and then depending on the customer - I decide who to upsell and whom not to. What I found was that I was competing with guys that made pretend they would do everything, at least that's how the customer portrayed it to me - but I don't think it was true. Anyways - adding it as upsell got to be so confusing after a while - most folks didn't even know if they could subtract the itemized price or not, even if I stated it was electable by them by line item. I just gave up. I give a price to wash their house- and if they want a 'gutter cleaning' that's a service to remove the debris from the insides.
    Daniel Tambasco
    Just Plain Painting
    Gutter Cleaning MA
    Deck Restoration Contractor
    978-749-9808

Scott, that house is definitely a challenge. Most of the houses we hit are between 3500 and 7000 s/f. The reason I mention that it takes no real extra time is that the amount of time I would let the chems dwell is usually the same amount of time (5-7 minutes per side) it takes a guy to run a 10" brush over gutters. But, on another note, the chems are caustic, expensive, and do add labor which is why they are an upsell.

This is just for me and my experiences but here are some things I have learned in my efforts to refine.

1. The chem makes a huge difference. Use the right cleaner, in the right ratio. If you lean towards stronger, make sure gutters are good and wet first.
    2. Put sodium hypochlorite in your gutter mix. (be certain to make sure your gutter chemicals are compatible.)
    3. Use a high quality extension pole and brushes. I messed around with cheap brushes and noodle poles before I invested in a Coress. A brush that is tightly packed but soft bristled holds chems and does the job.
    4. Do gutters in two passes. First pass is to apply chems, then work your way back and agitate lightly.
    - When I would apply chems from a bucket and try to get gutters clean right away one of two things happen. It wouldn't work or to make it work I would scrub back and forth and inadvertantly expose metal.
    5. Keep a can of white spray paint on your trucks.. just in case the above happens.
    Ken Fenner
    PressurePros, Inc
    House Washing

Ive tried spraying gutters before with different solutions and it didnt really work that good. Scrubbing has had better results everytime.
    I average about an hour or so to do them, after the housewash.

Ken, I wish I could scrub gutters while soap is dwelling, but when its 98 deg., the soap will dry fast, then it wont come off.

I use F-13 from PressureTek. 10oz. per gallon in a bucket, brush application, works great.
    Chad Johnson
    East Tennessee Power Washing
    Knoxville, Tn.
    www.easttnpowerwashing.com

Chad, I know what you are saying. On a 90+ degree in the sun, soap can dry fast on windows. For a solo guy you have to do what works best for you.
    Ken Fenner
    PressurePros, Inc
    House Washing

I include gutter washing as part of my service. Most of my house washes are 2 - 3000 sq ft and, at most, washing the gutters adds 10 to 20 minutes. I wash the house first, then brush the gutters and rinse them and the house at the same time. As for anything drying on the windows, I've never had a problem in over 8 years - and it gets plenty hot here, though I do take care not to let the gutter wash drip on dry siding, as it can leave streaks.

Typically, a house wash will take 1 hour per 1000 sq ft - driveway/walk cleaning is included. So, a 2500 sq ft house with drive and gutters, should take 2.5 or so hours to complete.
    John Orr
    Former UAMCC Board Member/Treasurer
    Low-Pressure Exterior Cleaning
    757/718-5442
    http://www.exteriorcleaning.com

Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com

• Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information