• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Bird poop on a painted tin roof

Jim Chesmore

I just got a call for a painted tin roof. Maps.live showed a three story monster and very steep. All the caller wanted was the bird poop removed. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can approach this or should I just walk a way?

He mentioned a product called "Bird Remove", I am going to look this up soon. Has anyone heard of this stuff?

Chris Tucker

When we are faced with cleaning a tile roof with bird shit on it, we either add some Sodium Hydroxide to our mix, or some sodium metasilicate.
Bird Shit is very acidic, and the SH is alkaline. Bird Shit can drop the PH of your mix, resulting in "missed spots"
I gallon of 50 percent Sodium Hydroxide to every 100 gallons of tile roof cleaning mix works wonders for bird shit, as well as other atmospheric pollutants.

John Burdine Jr

Contributing Member
Good advice. The website says to use before cleaning, but does it also benefit if used after cleaning? I'm bidding a couple jobs on flat roofs that are covered in poo. I was thinking a house wash mix should break it up and neutralize without the use of high pressure or heat. Would rinse of course. Any advice?

Chris Tucker

Good advice. The website says to use before cleaning, but does it also benefit if used after cleaning? I'm bidding a couple jobs on flat roofs that are covered in poo. I was thinking a house wash mix should break it up and neutralize without the use of high pressure or heat. Would rinse of course. Any advice?
We always just put some in our roof cleaning mix, when doing metal roofs. Never had any problems with the SH rusting the roofs using it.