• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Cedar Roof Moss removal

Isaac Baghdanov

Ok new one for me. I will be bidding on a cedar roof for moss removal. I have only done on once in '95 for a summer job. My boss put some spiked shoes on, lugged a couple of jugs of clorox, poured it on, then blasted it:rolleyes:

So I do moss removal on asphalt, but never on cedar. What is the proper method? Similar to asphalt?

James Foley

Bleach is a waste on moss because it can't get to the roots. Your better off with a 8 to 10 gallon a minute machine and push it off with water.

Ken Fenner

You have two options. Here's abrief synapsis with good and bad.

1. Use sodium hypochlorite in the 3%-4% range hitting the roof. You can mix 12% 1.5:1 with water and X-jet on.

Benefits:
• Will kill algae faster and more throughly with less dwell time.

Disadvantage:
• Can possibly make the roof look "bleached out". Not a problem if you were following with a tinted sealer.
• You have to control your runoff especially around landscaping. You should have a ground guy keeping things wet.

2. Use sodium percarbonate. 8-10oz per gallon dissolved in water.

Benefits:
• More environmentally friendly. Can sell as "green" cleaning as runoff is less likely to kill plants. Some even clain the oxgenation is beneficial to ground soil.
• Will leave wood looking more like its natural new cedar look.

Disadvantage:
• More dwell time. Multiple application on heavy growth may be neccessary.
• May involve more up close and personal rinsing.

Notes:
1. You shouldn't have to use more than 800 psi on cedar.
2. Don't walk a cedar shake roof. Factor in the cost of a lift.
3. Talk to Jim (Everglaze). He is cedar master.

Florin Nutu

You WILL need those shoes if you plan on walking it. Trust me. My first cedar shingle roof I sprayed chem on and took ONE step and I was slidding down the roof like a kids slip and slide. I was clawing at whatever I could grab but that did not help. I flew off the roof edge like one of those high jump skier olympic guys. I did not have my harness on cause the roof was such a low pitch. Go to a roof supply and buy the korker shoes. Best $80 I have ever spent. AND TIE DOWN NO MATTER WHAT PITCH.

Ryan Freidline

How old is the roof ? What is the condition of the shakes? Are they spongey,split, turning fiberous? I would take a close look, make sure its not a replacement job first. Also have you ever replaced shakes? Are youprepared to replace shakes and does the customer know that if you do there will be a major color difference?
I dunno....I can't find anyone here in Northern Va to pay what its worth to clean a shake roof. ($3000-5000)

James Foley

Do a test spot first and see if the wood is spongy under the moss. If it is it needs replacement. The age of the roof is a factor. I've done a few Barns that needed replacement that had moss issues.

Isaac Baghdanov

OK looked at the roof yesterday. Wood is in good condition, 10 years old. Only one side has moss growth. It is steep, 10/12 pitch, mossy side is 1 story, roof line starting at 6'. I have a delevan, and would love to try some precarb on it. Most of my competition uses high pressure and no chems to clean here.

I cannot replace shingles.

Florin Nutu

OK looked at the roof yesterday. Wood is in good condition, 10 years old. Only one side has moss growth. It is steep, 10/12 pitch, mossy side is 1 story, roof line starting at 6'. I have a delevan, and would love to try some precarb on it. Most of my competition uses high pressure and no chems to clean here.

I cannot replace shingles.

Let us know how it goes. I have passed on plenty of them that I could not walk. The ones I have done I use what Ken posted method.

Bob Gomez

Isaac;
Bleach is no good for cedar either way. It punks the wood fiber leaving it flat and un-absorbant. Oxallic acid is a good place to start.