• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Monster Surface Cleaning Machines

Ken Fenner

I'm sniffing around this commercial model for flatwork. My question is for the guys that rely on speed and efficiency to make money. I have seen and heard about some very large surface cleaners (40"-65"). Is there a point of diminishing return where a machine becomes too big and will actually slow you down?

I know John T has a Swabby and Nick has mentioned that he could clean faster with standard surface cleaners. What're your thoughts?

Scott Stone

It really depends on how large teh pressure washer that you have to push it is. At 3500 PSI, I would figure about 3 GPM for each 12" of circumference, for cleaning efficiency. That is just me, and I am sure that there is an even more accurate volume calculation.
Part of the problem with a huge surface cleaner is that you have to find someone to push it. You are also putting out a lot of water that technically needs to be recovered. It can be done, but you will need to draw some serious vacuum.

Greg Nash

Ken large cleaners work well for certain applications but for shopping centers and sidewalks they tend to be to large and cumbersome. you also need to have high gpm machines with large water tanks or hook to hydrants. For parking garages and large open flat work they can cover alot of ground quickly. the largest I run is the maxima(36) with 8 gpm and it can move pretty quick. I think it all depends on the type of job most commercial flat work is storefronts and sidewalks and to large of cleaner is definitly going to slow you down.

Ken Fenner

Scott, I use and have heard the same formula (1 gpm for every 4" of surface cleaner).

If you had to pick a maximum size cleaner that one man would feel comfortable handling, what would it be?

Ken Fenner

Greg, thanks! I want to start targeting parking garages and municiapl contracts. I'm pretty much of the belief that there is no "one size fits all". Would you say the application is going to dictate what works best?

Greg Nash

ken thats right. I dont think you can go wrong with a big guy for most commercial work. I put a fixed handle on a maxima and it's as easy to move as a big guy.

Attachments

• 306.jpg
    306.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 39

Scott Stone

I have had better luck with the smaller surface cleaners. I use a 24" Steel Eagle most of the time. I have the fury recovery models and a straight surface cleaner, too. One thing I would look for, and it becomes far more important the bigger you go is to have large back wheels. If it is a caster setup, they get harder and more squirrelly to push the large you go, in my opinion. If you have the GPM to push it, I would not want to worry about more than a 36" surface cleaner, solo. If you want to go bigger, you will need someone to handle your pressure hose, for maximum effectiveness. (Please be glad I proofread that last sentence.:got-hooligan:) Of course, that is my opinion.

Greg Nash

scott you have a good point about the large rear wheels. casters don't do as well on bigger surface cleaners. when I first got the maxima i hated it because of the casters and handle. I would not recommend it without changing the handle out to a fixed.