• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

How often are you using chemicals?

Wesley Teston

-new accounts = always
-7 day accounts = dumpster pad & entry doors only
-14 day accounts = same as above
-30 day accounts = chems on everything we touch

This is how we do it. Honestly though once you have done a location a few times you could use hot water only and be just fine on your weekly accounts (for a short period).

Question is pretty vague, prolly could give you a better answer if I knew what your angle was.

Ken Fenner

Wesley, I have done medium size flatwork projects (under 100,000 s/f) and have either took them or left them based on what they were willing to pay. Less than $.10 per s/f, I passed. That allowed me to use chemicals and get the concrete very clean. I want to start chasing the big stuff. I have no problem dropping my price to match the market but I want to figure out what my costs are first. Applying chems slow the whole process down and of course add material cost. I'm trying to get a feel for what guys are doing.

Henry Bockman

Hey Ken,

Applying chems doesn't slow the process down, it speeds it up. We use M5's for applying concrete cleaner, let it dwell while were laying out lines then go at it. It's quite a bit faster for the jobs we do.

Wesley Teston

Ok, your talking strip malls, parking decks etc..

Spot treat on areas that large. Remember foot traffic will only take hot water.

As far as hanging with some of the concrete guys it's going to be tough if not a losing battle. I have heard .02 a sq' for some of these jobs and guys are traveling multi states away just to get them!

John Tornabene

Member Guest
We use chemicals where needed but on most continuing Commercial accounts that we do we try to use just Hot water(180- 200 degrees) at 3500psi.

As far as prices go on some jobs we do real well and on others that .05 range per square is all we can get. Last summer we did a 100,000'+ flat work job for a town and it paid around 10 cents a sq'. My take per night was about $1500 for my two guys working 5 consecutive nights. We would have most likely done it faster but as always there where water issues and of course the town would NOT authorize use of the fire hydrants. It had to be done by a contractor who can do it without the use of there Hydrants(Figures).

With gas prices around half now compared to last summer I will gladly keep alot of my prices the same as 08. Heck I'd be happy I get some of the jobs I had last year with the economy the way it is.......

Mike Schoeben

Anything with oil, you pretty much have to use chems if you want it clean. When we do sidewalks, we generally don't use chems just hot water (emphasis on HOT).

Hot water costs money too. Turn up the thermostat and the diesel burns fast, so its not a big savings to do it without chemicals. Henry is right on the mark about chems reducing cleaning times though.

Again I am questioning why some contractors talk about the prices they are getting for flatwork?? In what possible way is that going to help you, or I, make money? Now Joe Blow will stumble upon this site, and low ball you or me, and the customer will get a crappy job. Or worse yet, a potential customer reads these numbers and figures they can get it done for less. Way to go guys!!

With gas prices around half now compared to last summer I will gladly keep alot of my prices the same as 08. Heck I'd be happy I get some of the jobs I had last year with the economy the way it is.......
That is a dangerous statement to make on a public forum my friend. You may be dooming your chances of surviving this economic crisis with thinking like that. People still need our services, no matter what the economy is doing. Don't forget that.