• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Soft wash slate

Anybody can give me an idea what I'm up against on this 100 yr old slate roof?

554bae5e5ae8a46ad84729e0c3e6e6ae.jpg
e56ce5a32be3b7b67332390eac0dcd04.jpg
9599b2220a11d5a94cb117f212da1d2e.jpg

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

John Aloisio

Contributing Member
Michael,
Slate is surface, like Cedar, that has different factors than a regular Shingle Roof. 3-4% mix and let it dwell, but you will need to rinse the crap out of the roof. SH can leave a funky residue on slate if not rinsed, plus you have some moss build up between the slates. Also, looks like no gutters, so rinse thoroughly and divert and protect the plants and the rest of the house. The copper valley flashings will loose their green patina appearance and most likely turn back to a more copper/orange color. The patina green will come back, but it will take months. Some of the slate looks like there is some orange discoloration, which is the iron ore in the slate tile itself. This orange may lighten, but it may not. Just set your customers expectations. And DO NOT try to walk slate roofs. Spray and rinse from ladders and the ground. Hope this helps and good luck!!

Michael,
Slate is surface, like Cedar, that has different factors than a regular Shingle Roof. 3-4% mix and let it dwell, but you will need to rinse the crap out of the roof. SH can leave a funky residue on slate if not rinsed, plus you have some moss build up between the slates. Also, looks like no gutters, so rinse thoroughly and divert and protect the plants and the rest of the house. The copper valley flashings will loose their green patina appearance and most likely turn back to a more copper/orange color. The patina green will come back, but it will take months. Some of the slate looks like there is some orange discoloration, which is the iron ore in the slate tile itself. This orange may lighten, but it may not. Just set your customers expectations. And DO NOT try to walk slate roofs. Spray and rinse from ladders and the ground. Hope this helps and good luck!!
Ok, that's great feedback! That was my biggest concern was the orange "framing" around each tile. I think I'll do a little test spot and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Nick Giordano

Michael,

great stuff