• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Servicing Commercial Washing Accounts Across the Country

Carlos Gonzales

For those that service wash accounts across the country what would you consider the top 3 mistakes a new commercial washer will make?

For example is it not factoring hotel costs the right way for the wash crew?

or

Under estimating the cost of fuel and etc.

What happens if you get on a job, say 5 states up north and it is raining way too hard to start the job like you planned. Do you factor in your bids extra money for contingencies like extra hotel costs?

I am sure there are a ton of considerations that have to be made. Ones like do you feed the crew three meals a day? Do you pay them a per diem for out of state travel? Do you carry extra spares for your trailer?

Some of the younger guys that want to do multi-state accounts may not be aware that doing this will require alot of home work and planning!! You just don't get in your truck and bounce 3 states up.

How many of you that are currently doing multi-state accounts found yourself in a little jam when you arrived at the job site and realized that you didn't bring something that you needed with you? Or you did not bring enough chems? What do you do?

I know Russ and Nick and a few others have this formula down to a science. However, guys getting into commercial work where you are servicing accounts all across the U.S....are you considering/factoring in some of the points above?

Russ, Nick or anyone ....can you fill in the blanks?

Thanks

Mike Schoeben

Carlos,
A couple of thoughts on this include: state by state DOT regulations, EPA regulations, and licensing requirements. These differ wildly from one state to another. Advice: know the regulations in the areas you work.

Carlos Gonzales

Carlos,
A couple of thoughts on this include: state by state DOT regulations, EPA regulations, and licensing requirements. These differ wildly from one state to another. Advice: know the regulations in the areas you work.

Thanks Mike...great points.

I worked out of state twice and the first time was a disaster. I didn't bring things that I eventually needed, guys were tired of the driving so when we got on the job site they didn't perform (day lost). I mean there was a whole list of "dont's" that I just didn't know.

It's natural to look at a contract opportunity that involves 5-6 different states and the contractor automatically thinks big money. What they fail to realize is that it takes careful planning on all fronts to service those accounts in the different states. And if you are not careful you can loose your A** real quick by not being prepared!

Thanks again Mike and good seeing you here!!!

Ron Musgraves

Past President
Staff member
RetailOne:

Reno Brothers Make It Big
In 1977, Don Baldwin, a local Reno grocer and owner of Warehouse Markets, had only one task to offer the two eager brothers asking for jobs: "Retrieve my shopping carts." The young men, both of whom were still in high school, accepted. Between classes and football practice, they began not only retrieving shopping carts with their grandfather’s borrowed truck, but over time also started repairing them, cleaning them, and putting pride into their job. Twenty-four years later, they have expanded throughout the western United States, have more than 250 people on the payroll, and earn annual revenues exceeding $10 million. Furthermore, they have implemented a national rollout to be accomplished over the next 24 months.

http://www.nbj.com/issue/0401/16/110

I know these guys and have sub from there company for years.

They are the giants, they where publically traded and then bought out by a huge private investor for 500 billion.... yes thats not a mistake...

They are in every city and county in every part of this country and they are the KINGS in there current business.

All other companys you have heard of including facilatec and Fleetwash are small.

They are so huge they let the safeway account go nationally. They sent them a letter saying they will no longer service there store fronts. This contract alone is worth millions.

anything retail they have,

Keep in mind they are sold out, and what you read about them now is not the same people that soldout.

I will make a video blog, these guys bought a division of my company years ago. They wanted the phoenix market, this was when I got educated at the real possibilitys in grocery stores.

Last edited:

Carlos Gonzales

RetailOne:

Reno Brothers Make It Big
In 1977, Don Baldwin, a local Reno grocer and owner of Warehouse Markets, had only one task to offer the two eager brothers asking for jobs: "Retrieve my shopping carts." The young men, both of whom were still in high school, accepted. Between classes and football practice, they began not only retrieving shopping carts with their grandfather’s borrowed truck, but over time also started repairing them, cleaning them, and putting pride into their job. Twenty-four years later, they have expanded throughout the western United States, have more than 250 people on the payroll, and earn annual revenues exceeding $10 million. Furthermore, they have implemented a national rollout to be accomplished over the next 24 months.

http://www.nbj.com/issue/0401/16/110

I know these guys and have sub from there company for years.

They are the giants, they where publically traded and then bought out by a huge private investor for 500 billion.... yes thats not a mistake...

They are in every city and county in every part of this country and they are the KINGS in there current business.

All other companys you have heard of including facilatec and Fleetwash are small.

They are so huge they let the safeway account go nationally. They sent them a letter saying they will no longer service there store fronts. This contract alone is worth millions.

anything retail they have,

Keep in mind they are sold out, and what you read about them now is not the same people that soldout.

I will make a video blog, these guys bought a division of my company years ago. They wanted the phoenix market, this was when I got educated at the real possibilitys in grocery stores.

Maybe I missed something here but what does this have to do with Commercial power washing? I am curious. :confused:

Ron Musgraves

Past President
Staff member
Maybe I missed something here but what does this have to do with Commercial power washing? I am curious. :confused:

If you want to know about this, they are the experts and the most successful pressure cleaning company on the planet to date.

They started washing carts, I thought Dj would love this thread and read about there success.

They are very diverse,

Maybe I missed somthing? I thought it was about nationwide washing. If anyone wants to call these boys they might help you.

They are very helpful guys.

Ron Musgraves

Past President
Staff member
My bad I guess...I read that these guys collected shopping carts and fixed them.

Yes, they started pressure cleaning everything on wheels.

Then landed the accounts for store fronts.

The story on how they own the shopping cart sales and repair is crazy.

If you touch a shopping cart likely they sold it to the store. Almost anywhere in the world.

Heres a couple of there customers, Wal-mart, target and groger.

Ron Musgraves

Past President
Staff member
pretty cool story

Did you see what they have become? They make billions, all started washing shopping carts.

If they couldnt get the accounts from the stores they bought the contractor out. They also joined every group and org. When I first met them is when I realized the groups i needed to belong too.

They had membership in 124... They never missed a tradeshow.

http://retailone.com/

Barry M

I'd say the biggest factor not calculated in is the owner's TIME. So many business owners completely forget about this factor maybe it's the "big dollar" figure on the contract blinding them or whatever. But they'll figure in expenses, payroll, travel, taxes, everything they can think of except for THEIR actual time of being on the job. It seems like it's the factor that just gets thrown by the wayside, but why should the owner of the company have to make the sacrifices just to stay busy? I mean that is what he is doing right, staying busy? If he could stay busy at home I'm sure that's what he would do but when he can't he stretches his service area across half the country stepping in everyone elses backyards.

I'm sorry but my TIME is worth something. If I'm on the road away from my home and family then I better be getting what I think my time is worth for every second that I'm gone. Whether I'm actually working or sleeping in the hotel room doesn't make a difference, I'm away from home so it all counts. If most guys figure that in they are making a few cents an hour by the time it's all said and done. It better be one hell of a contract if I'm doing it.

I had some hacks from North Carolina driving clear up here to northern Indiana to wash a FedEx truck account once a month. That's minimum a 10-12 hour drive. The wash window was from 5am till about 9am. They would drive all night in a rented UHaul with a 500 gallon water tank full of soapy water. The fleet manager told me they would get there sometimes around 3 or 4am and wait for the gate to open at 5am and then go like gang busters (horrible quality) and then pack up and drive clear back to North Carolina. It was the owner and 2 other guys and the account was around $1000 a month. Now you tell me what that guy was making off that account. :clap::clap::clap::clap: Good job man!!!!!

Ron Musgraves

Past President
Staff member
I'd say the biggest factor not calculated in is the owner's TIME. So many business owners completely forget about this factor maybe it's the "big dollar" figure on the contract blinding them or whatever. But they'll figure in expenses, payroll, travel, taxes, everything they can think of except for THEIR actual time of being on the job. It seems like it's the factor that just gets thrown by the wayside, but why should the owner of the company have to make the sacrifices just to stay busy? I mean that is what he is doing right, staying busy? If he could stay busy at home I'm sure that's what he would do but when he can't he stretches his service area across half the country stepping in everyone elses backyards.

I'm sorry but my TIME is worth something. If I'm on the road away from my home and family then I better be getting what I think my time is worth for every second that I'm gone. Whether I'm actually working or sleeping in the hotel room doesn't make a difference, I'm away from home so it all counts. If most guys figure that in they are making a few cents an hour by the time it's all said and done. It better be one hell of a contract if I'm doing it.

I had some hacks from North Carolina driving clear up here to northern Indiana to wash a FedEx truck account once a month. That's minimum a 10-12 hour drive. The wash window was from 5am till about 9am. They would drive all night in a rented UHaul with a 500 gallon water tank full of soapy water. The fleet manager told me they would get there sometimes around 3 or 4am and wait for the gate to open at 5am and then go like gang busters (horrible quality) and then pack up and drive clear back to North Carolina. It was the owner and 2 other guys and the account was around $1000 a month. Now you tell me what that guy was making off that account. :clap::clap::clap::clap: Good job man!!!!!

I think we will see less and less hacks, people are being educated on a larger stage. Education is the key, telling customers to be aware of sub-standard work and also having the beginers know what the standards are and not under charging and mess the market up.

This was the largest PW company in the world. If you looked at the website they let all the powerwashing go. The service they provide now is selling retailers shelves and shopping carts.

They dont even repair carts mobile any longer or wash them.

The entire wash divsion was sold or let go.

When we quit subing work for them in phx they told us the contact info and who to talk with and its ours.

I think its also ridiculous for a contractor to travel a million mile to wash anything. If they cannot find people local, i guess they have no choice.

Last edited:

Ken Fenner

I think its also ridiculous for a contractor to travel a million mile to wash anything. If they cannot people local, i guess they have no choice.

I agree with that, Ron.

Barry, the most important thing in wealth building is to pay yourself. Of course you already know that and so does every person here. Where it can get risky in a business plan is when a person does not realize the same principal applies. A working owner has to pay himself the same salary he would be paying someone else to do the job. That is not part of the job profit or owner salary. Eventually I would think every business owner has a goal of getting out from behind the wand. That means the money to pay someone to fill his/her shoes has to be built into every job.

Russ Spence

I dont have the time to elaborate as I am about to leave but I will post more later.

The BIGGEST mistake made on bidding large commercial jobs in multiple states is the inability to look at the properties first, if you are going to keep you rates affordable enough to be competative with other contractors and still make money you just dont have that luxury. I have rolled into a shopping center and jumped for joy when I saw it because I knew I had rolled the dice and hit a lick, only to roll up in the next and want to throw my self on the ground and beat me to death. All in all averages dont lie and usually it works to our advantage before we get back home.

Yes Carlos the rain is a major player but we suck it up and work through it from time to time. If it is raining too hard we just go to the local Waffle House and try to wait it out.

I have many others I will try to post when we get back in tonight.

GREAT TOPIC :clap:

Russ Spence

I would have to say not having enough working capitol.
YOU ARE SOOOO RIGHT!

If you dont have the capitol you dont ever need to hit the road.

Lets put it in perspective
1- fuel cost
2- labor cost
3- food cost (min 3 meals plus employees)
4- misc cost (unexpected stuff)
5- most commercial accts are net 30 - but due to billing it usually take 45 days

These are the basics, you have to have money to make money like this.

Carlos Gonzales

YOU ARE SOOOO RIGHT!

If you dont have the capitol you dont ever need to hit the road.

Lets put it in perspective
1- fuel cost
2- labor cost
3- food cost (min 3 meals plus employees)
4- misc cost (unexpected stuff)
5- most commercial accts are net 30 - but due to billing it usually take 45 days

These are the basics, you have to have money to make money like this.

...and now you are finding accounts in the net 30 category....delaying payments to 60 or even 90 days.

Tackling commercial that requires you to service accounts in different states....all I can say is that you better have your sh** in one sock before bidding on it.

Russ Spence

...and now you are finding accounts in the net 30 category....delaying payments to 60 or even 90 days.

Tackling commercial that requires you to service accounts in different states....all I can say is that you better have your sh** in one sock before bidding on it.
yeah I agree we have 132 centers to service and only 22 are in Alabama !