Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The be-all-end all of house wash estimating (and commercial)

Default Re: The be-all-end all of house wash estimating (and commercial)

My "Be all, end all" of house wash estimating was my creation of per (heated) sq/ft pricing. It allows me to give estimates immediately on the phone. Very high closing rate. It allowed me to survive the higher gas prices last year and customers absolutely understand that the cost of an estimate is actually included in the price, so not having to use the fuel and time for every estimate, it has allowed me to keep my prices down and my P/E about the same - if not better. I also never increase price for existing customers - since the cost to obtain that customer was paid the first time, I'm able to pass the savings on...and my customer's appreciate it.

The market for house washing remains uncertain for this year, but if "WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND" is true, I look forward to a good year. Historically, my season starts around March 1 - and the phone has already started ringing. We'll see. Referrals are the lifeblood of my business, but the Yellow Book as well as my local Community Phone Book, with coupons in each, help get the phone ringing and they are delivered in the Sping...right on time for me.
    John Orr
    Former UAMCC Board Member/Treasurer
    Low-Pressure Exterior Cleaning
    757/718-5442
    http://www.exteriorcleaning.com

Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com

Quote Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
    Many of you may already been aware of this, but many are not.

Google maps has a street view mode. Roving google subcontractors drive through towns and film streets in 360 degree circles. These are very current photos and in many instances give you a clear view of three sides of a home. Combined with a satellite view and a square footage quote from Zillow or a local assesment office, you don't have to visit the house to put together a very accurate proposal.

Has your street been done?

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/

Its a great tool, I cannot use it.

I'm not putting the idea down, some guys I respect use this. I just have guys that measure and i like to be acurate.

I have looked at jobs via photos from Google. Its a great tool to take a peak at the job. I have found because my industry has so much growth that its not a very accurate representation.

Buildings get put up and added on overnight. Googles photos are old and getting older.

Its great for alot of other uses to measure. Just not good for commercial buildings in my area.

I don't think I'd do it ,...takes the personal contact out of it. Maybe would make the customer just feel like another number. Or maybe you don't have enough motivation or interest to actually go look at the "THEIR" job. I think I would like to know my competition was doing this, seems like I would be more likely to get the job because I simply showed more interest and wasn't sitting at home on the couch trying to bid jobs.
    Also, I think customers like to meet the person who will be coming to their property. Especially the way things are these days.
    Jeff
    Since 1996
    Raystown Roof Cleaning
    Central, Pa
    (814)644-1396 or 1-800-236-0322
    Roof Cleaning Central Pennsylvania
    T.V Commercial

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Musgraves View Post
    Its a great tool, I cannot use it.

I'm not putting the idea down, some guys I respect use this. I just have guys that measure and i like to be acurate.

I have looked at jobs via photos from Google. Its a great tool to take a peak at the job. I have found because my industry has so much growth that its not a very accurate representation.

Buildings get put up and added on overnight. Googles photos are old and getting older.

Its great for alot of other uses to measure. Just not good for commercial buildings in my area.
    Ron, I do agree that there has to be certain numbers measured but you know as well as I do that prequalifying a property has its value. You can look at photos of a property and get an idea of square footage the put your own spin on getting your foot in the door.

As far as the age of the pictures, this is pretty new to Google. These are camera images taken within the last two years. The picture of my house has my niece at the front door with holiday decorations from 2008 in the yard.

Jeff, I have been advocating the same thing for years. I like to be on a property to upsell and to meet and greet the customer to form a long term relationship. I think it pays way more in the long run. For me, this is a tool. A prequalification if you will. For many guys that are not inclined to sales, this is the ticket for them.

Even if you don't use it to when people call you, look at the value of it in creating a direct mailing campaign. You can see exactly what the house is covered with (vinyl, aluminum, etc) and if roofs in the area are dirty. For businesses you can see who has their concrete cleaned and who doesn't.
    Ken Fenner
    PressurePros, Inc
    House Washing
    Pressure Washing Companies

I looked up my house, and that picture is at least three years old. I also know it was taken on a sunday, because of where my truck was. Not super current, but it also did not provide a street view, either.
    Scott Stone
    The-washer@msn.com
    602-509-9741
    Office 480-834-3434

To many variables ,...like "Artillery Fungus",...if that's not pointed out to the customer they may think that is part of the cleaning. Or worse yet, that is the whole reason they want their house washed. So you go and wash the house and leave a bill and they say you didn't do as expected. And to no fault of theirs,..simply because everyone isn't aware of that particular problem,....or they think a pressure washer was the answer and they never mentioned any special circumstances,...such as the little black specks!!

Also what about very oxidized paint on any aluminum trim that may be on the house. This stuff needs to be pointed out and explained in person.

We're always worried about this business not being perceived as a true profession done by professionals,....so bidding in the shadows and the pitfalls that go along with it aren't gonna do our image any good.

Jeff
    Since 1996
    Raystown Roof Cleaning
    Central, Pa
    (814)644-1396 or 1-800-236-0322
    Roof Cleaning Central Pennsylvania
    T.V Commercial

Quote Originally Posted by FLORIN View Post
    I always want to go and actually see the property and be face to face with the customer but for the times that I cannot I will use it. Here is how it goes for me.... They call and explain what they have that needs cleaned. I get some basic info from them and then I mention my minimum or a price range for that type of work. If still interested I tell them to give me their adress and I will take a look at their property today or tommorrow. I then look it up and if it is a home that is easily viewable thru the map sites then I will call them later in the day and tell them that I looked at their property and the price will be such and such and I tell them about the company and processes.

Not as good of a closing ratio compared to doing it onsite but with these short daylight hours and busy times, it works.

Excellent. Thanks
    Chad Johnson
    East Tennessee Power Washing
    Knoxville, Tn.
    www.easttnpowerwashing.com

I use Bing and Google Maps

Doug Rucker-Owner/Operator
    Certified NCE Instructor
    We own and operate a School for Pressure Washing, Roof Cleaning, and Soft Washing http://www.pressurecleaningschool.com
    Check out our ONLINE PRESSURE WASHING SCHOOL with over 160 videos https://www.pressurecleaningschool.c...ashing-school/
    Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Rucker View Post
    Practically the only way we do them here.
    Arkansas Pro Wash is an awesome Pressure Washing Company that specializes in Sidewalk Cleaning and Gum Removal. Check us out on Facebook. Call or Text 501-580-0223.<marquee> Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com </marquee>

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Rucker View Post
    Same here, plus the local tax website at times.

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information