• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Basic Equipment Needed for Wood?

Carlos Gonzales

Okay Wood experts....If a contractor was to consider getting into wood restoration, what would you suggest he/she would need for equipment? I mean the basic stuff and why would they need it?

Thanks for the feed back!!!!

ShineBrite LLC

Contributing Member
The equipment needs will probably be answered easily here with a few variances based on preference, like dual lance wands and such. But before it gets started, I'd like to say that wood requires a certain art. It seems some folks have it and some just don't or they have to work to learn it. Agreeing that it's not rocket science, but it really helps to have an artist-like control over the wand and study your chemicals and the product offerings.
I've handed the wand to one employee out of five in the last two years that instantly had a knack for wood. The guy got on with the postal service two weeks later. Go figure.

Ken Fenner

On my wood trucks:

Circular saw
Table saw
Pry bars
Claw hammers
Nail sets
Tape measure
Random orbital sander
Low rpm variable polisher
Sanding blocks
Defelting pads
Osborne brush
Assorted spiral Nails
Screws
Jig Saw
Assorted hand saws
Drill
Screw Bits (including star drive)
Reciprocating saw
Pressure washer
Stripping and pH balancing chems
Stain sprayer
Synthetic brushes
Deck Floor brush
Stain Mixer (drill attachment)

plainpainter

On my wood trucks:

Circular saw
Table saw
Pry bars
Claw hammers
Nail sets
Tape measure
Random orbital sander
Sanding blocks
Defelting pads
Osborne brush
Assorted spiral Nails
Screws
Jig Saw
Assorted hand saws
Drill
Reciprocating saw
Pressure washer
Stain sprayer
Synthetic brushes
Deck Floor brush

You sure you don't build decks, Ken?

Ken Fenner

We do a good amount of repairs. I raised my rates to $8 per LF for R&R on PTP.. more for cedar or higher priced woods. Its a PITA.

Ken Fenner

Dan, depends on the wood. That's for wet PT lumber. (which really should be the highest rate because it is murder on saws)

deach

We do a good amount of repairs. I raised my rates to $8 per LF for R&R on PTP.. more for cedar or higher priced woods. Its a PITA.

Ken, Is your rate including everything? (lumber, screws, etc) I'm wondering on a cedar house if you do those. I'm only getting 8 a LF for cedar siding here, (cedar is 1.90 at this time). Deck stuff I'm at 5-6 depending on quantity and such.

plainpainter

Is that for clapboard or shakes, Greg?

This guy I quoted weeks ago had trellis surrounding this deck - but they arranged vertically and so were 8 Feet high going all the way around - they were plastic. There were 10 sheets in all - I think I bid in total appox $100/sheet to remove the old plastic ones and reinstall the new ones and get rid of the old ones, including materials. About $14 per linear vertical foot per sheet. The guy thought I was insane - but jeez a sheet of privacy ptp trellis is like $34 my cost not including all the driving and stuff to go get it. I couldn't believe the guy didn't think I was worth the $66-$78 per sheet after materials to cover everything else?!?!

Ken Fenner

Ken, Is your rate including everything? (lumber, screws, etc) I'm wondering on a cedar house if you do those. I'm only getting 8 a LF for cedar siding here, (cedar is 1.90 at this time). Deck stuff I'm at 5-6 depending on quantity and such.

Greg, that is the inclusive rate.

Rick Petry

On my wood trucks:

Circular saw
Table saw
Pry bars
Claw hammers
Nail sets
Tape measure
Random orbital sander
Sanding blocks
Defelting pads
Osborne brush
Assorted spiral Nails
Screws
Jig Saw
Assorted hand saws
Drill
Reciprocating saw
Pressure washer
Stain sprayer
Synthetic brushes
Deck Floor brush

Ken,

That is a good complete list. We do not carry power saws, they stay back at the barn. But we do not do a lot of wood replacement.

One helpful addition is a 2 stroke leaf blower. Use it all the time to remove detris, sanding dust, even puddled water from decks.

We also carry 2 belt sanders and a router. Old, splintered, beat up handrails can be improved by routing the top two edges.

Terry Miller

Okay Wood experts....If a contractor was to consider getting into wood restoration, what would you suggest he/she would need for equipment? I mean the basic stuff and why would they need it?

Thanks for the feed back!!!!

Carlos,
The most important item, is the knowledge to properly do the job. We don't repair or replace wood on decks. We strip and refinish them. No matter what tools we carry, unless we know how to use the tools we will fail. Thank you.

Ken Fenner

Ken,

That is a good complete list. We do not carry power saws, they stay back at the barn. But we do not do a lot of wood replacement.

One helpful addition is a 2 stroke leaf blower. Use it all the time to remove detris, sanding dust, even puddled water from decks.

We also carry 2 belt sanders and a router. Old, splintered, beat up handrails can be improved by routing the top two edges.

Rick, we keep the table saw at the shop until needed as it takes up space and I only have one of them. I forgot the leaf blower. Gotta have one of those.

Attachments

• clearingdust.jpg
    clearingdust.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 41

Carlos Gonzales

I sprayed stain before and it was so light that the mist drifted everywhere. Had some plastic up but ...well...is there a prep procedure that you guys can recommend?

Also, lattice's...they are a pain when trying to stain..alot of dripping?

ShineBrite LLC

Contributing Member
Low pressure spray only. I run home built rip offs of a deckster set-up, my own making. On deck surfaces we use truck brushes dipped right in the buckets. You just adapt to the environment. If we can spray handrails and back brush we do, if not we don't. Regardless of what some say, you need at least minor painter skills when your cutting in and doing hand work. Brushes are on the list just like Ken noted. Hey, good call on the blower. I keep brooms for sweeping off pollen, too. Unscrew the broom heads and use handles for other stuff.

Terry Miller

Not to sound like an idiot, but I am confused why PWers feel they can spray when they don't know how to brush a deck? Spraying is not easy and needs practice and skills. Learning to brush is a good start. Just my 2 cents.

Attachments

• Picture 00130.jpg
    Picture 00130.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 30