• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Deck finished today.

The Cleaning Doctor

Contributing Member
Latest Deck clean and stain. Stained with AC Cedar Semi

Attachments

• DSC06601.jpg
    DSC06601.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC06602.jpg
    DSC06602.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC06603.jpg
    DSC06603.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC06604.jpg
    DSC06604.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC06605.jpg
    DSC06605.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Deck1-2.jpg
    Deck1-2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 36

The Cleaning Doctor

Contributing Member
Happy enough to write a check. LOL

Yes I sprayed but you waste alot of stain doing this on the railings. Going to try a staining pad and/or roller next time just to see what it takes.

Florin Nutu

Happy enough to write a check. LOL

Yes I sprayed but you waste alot of stain doing this on the railings. Going to try a staining pad and/or roller next time just to see what it takes.

I too used to paintbrush, pad, and roll the rails because i was wasting stain. But later on I came to the realization that my time was more important than the extra gallon of stain. Now we just throw a tarp on the other side ti minimize overspray, we shoot at an angle that gets most stain on the wood rather than in between the rails and another guy follows to back brush and wipe up excess. We can do a rail set on a deck really quickly and then we can move on to the next job.

BTW your deck looks great. I like that color.

Ken Fenner

Saw this on TGS... nice job! A couple more and you'll be an official woody. One thing I've done recently is build spray guns with quick coupled lances that can accept different spray tips.

Johnny T

Saw this on TGS... nice job! A couple more and you'll be an official woody. One thing I've done recently is build spray guns with quick coupled lances that can accept different spray tips.

Ken, what are you spraying the decks with? I tried once and got overspray over about a square mile. Are you using pump ups, flat tips or cone? Why is spraying decks such a fail for me? Do you drop the deck, do the railing first, then spray and backbrush the floor? Right now I am brushing everything.

Ken Fenner

I don't have any pictures but they are standard trigger guns (w/ceramic balls) with quick couplers at the end to use various length lances. At the end of the lance is another quick coupler. I'm still experimenting with nozzles but a 15 degree works well on spindles and a 65 degree on the floor. Orifice size will depend on your pump. I like around 70 psi for oils.

John, I use constant flow pump setups like the deckster. I have one deckster portable and two truck mounted pumps. For rails, cut yourself a 2'x'4' to somewhere between 6' and 8'. WalMart sells sheets for under $4. Staple a sheet to one of those two by fours and stick it on the rails. spray one side and move it to the next length of rail. Leave some overhang on the edges of the two by so that you can pull it around posts. Repeat for the other side. This catches the overspray right away.

You still have to tarp in many scenarios. We cover all houses with plastic. Four us, it goes very fast as we do it all the time. Setup including sanding takes about 30 minutes. Once you have your protection in place it goes very fast.

We spray the floor with a very light coat before we do any spindles. When the rails are done and everything is cut in, we use an 18" truck brush to apply a final coat to the floor.

Last edited:

The Cleaning Doctor

Contributing Member
Thanks for the hints Ken. I will try the sheet method on the next one. That very well may be mine. I did have plastic even covering the brick below. I did have some overspray on the vinyl that I did not notice until I had taken down the plastic and doing one final inspection. A little Krud Kutter and a papertowel took care of it though.

This is a brand new subdivision and they are still building houses. Going to canvas this weekend with flyers. This is the only home owner that has had his deck finished. I am going to experiment with the wands. One question is what GPM rate do you use on your pumps? Or do you restrict that with the tips?

Ken Fenner

Pat, the pumps are around 1.5 gpm.

As an alternate you can attach the sheet (or tarp or burlap) directly to the handrail via stapling. Do one side, flip the sheet and do the other.

Damaris Sutton

When I was doing a lot of new construction. We set up a spray booth, but later on actually had a mobile type of thing. We used to have a metal sheet that we spot welded some handles on(2) to the bottom of that shield we spot welded a deep tray. This unit was about 3 feet wide. All hand made for us alone. What would happen was that once the paint hit the shield it ran down into the tray and every so often we would run it through a stocking and reuse it. I am thinking of making another one up here for this. Right now I just cover the plants with poly after I water them. I then drop the area and use a large piece of cardboard to block the other spray.

Being someone who has been in the painting field I love to brush and can cover a lot of area within an hour. I was using the throw away brushes as Ken suggested as did everyone, but I just can not make myself use a throw away, so I went back to my old trusty Woosters for the deck stains. I have way more control over where my stain goes.

Never used the Ready Seal as everyone has, but i know you enjoyed the AC stains. Smells pretty good also compared to the paints i have used. I think its the veggie oil they use in that stuff. Until you have used epoxy you have not lived or died for that matter :>)

Bryan Otten

Nice Job
Here is one i did about two weeks ago.:clap::clap:

Attachments

• wooden deck 013.jpg
    wooden deck 013.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Wooden deck done.jpg
    Wooden deck done.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 30

ShineBrite LLC

Contributing Member
Hey Pat,
Nice job on the deck.
When we spray we use a sur-flo set up and wand with QC tips. It's the wand that comes with the deckster. It's got a flow adjustment on the handle. Got it at SunBrite Supply. I imagine Ken is running the same wand.
I found some brushes at SW that are great for ballusters and cut in, or other places you need them. They are called "Best Stainers" made in Turkey. 3" wide and a little over an inch thick with wood handles that screw in. They have a metal tab to hook them on the lip of a can. About $9.00. My local SW says I'm about the only guy that buys them. And that's about the only thing I buy at SW.

The Cleaning Doctor

Contributing Member
Another Deck Saved

Here is another deck we completed today. It was a small deck but we also cleaned the roof and gutters.

Attachments

• DSC06679_3.jpg
    DSC06679_3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC06683_1.jpg
    DSC06683_1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC06682_2.jpg
    DSC06682_2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 21

The Cleaning Doctor

Contributing Member
Save a tree - Restore your deck.

Ken and Alan thanks for the previous suggestions on the sprayer set up. I am looking at a Delavan 1gpm pump since I can source it locally here in Clarksville at Rural King. It is nice that they cary this line of pumps. I think I am going to build a cart of some sorts.

Ken Fenner

I just ordered a couple of Delevans from Bob to try out. Bob has a 2 gpm that I am going to test for staining. I don't like pumps with a pressure switch for staining. I can never get them to not cycle. Cycling pumps when applying stain are a PITA.