• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Difference Between Stormwater and Urban Runoff?

Carlos Gonzales

Just a FYI....:biggrin:

Stormwater runoff refers to runoff resulting from rainfall. It is very noticeable during heavy rainstorms when large volumes of water drain off the urban landscape picking up pollutants along the way.

Urban runoff can happen anytime of the year when excessive water use from irrigation, vehicle washing and other sources carries trash, lawn clippings and other urban pollutants into storm drains.

Tim Fields

Just a FYI....:biggrin:

Stormwater runoff refers to runoff resulting from rainfall. It is very noticeable during heavy rainstorms when large volumes of water drain off the urban landscape picking up pollutants along the way.

Urban runoff can happen anytime of the year when excessive water use from irrigation, vehicle washing and other sources carries trash, lawn clippings and other urban pollutants into storm drains.

Well spoken Carlos,
The new Storm Water Model Ordinance in Maryland will tolerate neither. What falls in your yard, stays in your yard. What falls on your parking lot, stays in your SWM pond. The Clean Water Act should be easier to comply with in a location that has adequate Storm Water Management structures in place.

Ken Fenner

Tim, its such a hornet's nest. Everywhere in the country you go, there are varying BMP's as well as opinions to what is compliant. The law is federal but all the way down to township level decisions are made on what we can and cannot do.

To give you an example, 4 or 5 years ago my township went on a CWA rampage. Homeowners were fined on the spot for washing their cars in driveways.

Even east to west across the country, things differ. In more recently developed states, commerical properties are built on dry wells. I have yet to come across that situation here.

Tim Fields

Tim, its such a hornet's nest. Everywhere in the country you go, there are varying BMP's as well as opinions to what is compliant. The law is federal but all the way down to township level decisions are made on what we can and cannot do.

To give you an example, 4 or 5 years ago my township went on a CWA rampage. Homeowners were fined on the spot for washing their cars in driveways.

Even east to west across the country, things differ. In more recently developed states, commerical properties are built on dry wells. I have yet to come across that situation here.

Ken, The last house we built had three drywells in the front yard. Think onsite septic system to capture the rainfall from the roof. Our location has a very aggressive ordinance for all new construction. Being a "Bay State", we are under constant pressure from the environmentalists to treat the mothership well. I agree with them in theory, it is the practical application of that that becomes problematic.

I had a conversation with one of our County Engineers. I asked if the County was considering any regs for Mobile Cleaners. The reply was that if staff saw someone cleaning out a concrete truck beside a public storm drain, they would ask them to stop.

Our local ordinance is based on the State Ordinance. They are due to publish a new one anytime. I will track it on this end to see what affect it may have on PW'ing and report back to this board.

P. S. I designed my first Storm Water Management plan in 2002, so I do have a bit of familiarity with the CWA. But to understand the CWA and all that it entails would require the full time attention of a superhuman. Until that person shows up, I'll do what I can.

Ken Fenner

Tim, I thinks its safe to assume you have more knowlege to its workings than 95% of us contractors. I'm ignorant when it comes to this topic.

Safeclean

It's funny I am in NYC all the time and never see any wash water recovery of any kind,and NYC is an Island! I see contractors,city employees store owners etc. just washing into the streets into the storm drains.Yesterday I was passing a city employee washing out the back of a garbage truck right into the storm drain.You would think that there would be more enforcement.

Carlos Gonzales

It's funny I am in NYC all the time and never see any wash water recovery of any kind,and NYC is an Island! I see contractors,city employees store owners etc. just washing into the streets into the storm drains.Yesterday I was passing a city employee washing out the back of a garbage truck right into the storm drain.You would think that there would be more enforcement.

Hey Jim - It is good seeing you over here at the UAMCC.

Safeclean

Thanks Carlos! I have been pretty busy and not had too much time to check the forums,but you and the team are doing a great job,and always enjoy your positive ,upbeat,informative posts.

Carlos Gonzales

Thanks Carlos! I have been pretty busy and not had too much time to check the forums,but you and the team are doing a great job,and always enjoy your positive ,upbeat,informative posts.

I appreciate it and I am sure the team does also....it is a Team effort.

Are you going to the NY RT?