• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Downstreaming Decks?

Jeff Wible

I need some advice on downstreaming decks. I have never downstreamed before and would like to add this to my application methods. I don't like using the same tanks for different chemicals. I am out of room for another tank for deck cleaner (sodium percarbonate).

I would appreciate some assistance in setting my machine up for downstreaming. I have a 4.6 GPM pump at 3000 . I am also using a dual lance that has a soap tip on it already. Running 200' hose.

Injector recommendation and mix ratio would be so helpful.

Jeff

Jeff Wible

Thanks Ken, I don't focus much on decks, but the ones I usually take on are basic graying of the wood,...no stripping of stains. I usually turn those down unless they are just looking to maintenance clean. Is there an injector and percarbonate ratio you would recommend for these pump specs?

If I'm downstreaming,... how many oz. of percarbonate per 5 gal. would I use,.. and with what injector?

Jeff

Ken Fenner

I have to agree with Scott. Percarb has to go on straight to do its thing. Downstream any stripper onto a gray deck and you will be amazed at how fast you will get it done. The same goes for the acid. Mix both at full strength (8 oz per gallon if you are using powders).

Jeff Wible

I have to agree with Scott. Percarb has to go on straight to do its thing. Downstream any stripper onto a gray deck and you will be amazed at how fast you will get it done. The same goes for the acid. Mix both at full strength (8 oz per gallon if you are using powders).

My question:
8oz. per gallon? At what draw rate is that?

Thanks,
Jeff

plainpainter

Those formulas are for most any draw rate for the purpose of cleaning up greyed wood and neutralization - within reason. If you are downstreaming stripper for the purpose of actual stripping of old finishes - then you have to be real careful.

Jeff Wible

I'm gonna downstream a deck tomorrow, I like the idea of using a diluted stripper for for general cleaning. I use hydroxide in my house wash mix and like it very well. However I like trying new things and am going to be using metasilicate in place of the hydroxide to start the season. Can I use the metasilicate as a deck cleaner,..and if so would someone please give a mix for downstreaming. I've always neutralized with oxalic, and I assume I will still need to neutralize the metasilicate,..as it sounds like it's also high Ph.

Thanks,
Jeff

plainpainter

Jeff - Hydroxide, Metasilicates, Trisodium phoshpates, ortho-phosphates - are all basically
caustics and detergent builders, chelation agents. They all do pretty much the same thing yet have their own individual traits and different ph's. I've spent alot of time fooling around with these things and have lots of my own recipes - but in the end without a lab, you aren't going to really know for sure what does what.

Keep it simple and either buy HD-80 or F-18 and mix a cup per gallon and then downstream it on - and then downstream your brightener of choice - if you spend anymore time thinking this - then you are wasting precious time working on your marketing/advertizing. Trust me - putting this much thought into chems is a waste of time - Fenner told me that - and it took me a year to figure it out.

But I will say this - if you do go down the path of mixing your own chems - and use either a sodium metasilicate or TSP in lieu of sodium/potassium hydroxide - then I would recommend blending your 'soap' with bleach. As close as metasilicate is to hydroxide in ph - it is a detergent builder vs. an all-out caustic - it won't clean up wood the same way. And then you have to mess with surfactants - and on and on - get some HD-80, you'll be glad you did.

Jeff Wible

Thanks Dan, I will try some this season at some point. I don't do alot of deck work,.... and nothing extensive. I have a deck to do tomorrow and was looking for something to downstream from the "home made files",...Ha, Ha...

Gotcha though!!

Jeff

Jeff Wible

Just want to thank you guys for the downstreaming help. I ended up using a blend of Metasilicate and Hydroxide. Equal parts and then mixed at 3/4 cup a gallon and then downstreamed. Then neutralized with 1 cup ox per gallon. Worked great, and dissolved easier than the percarbonate that I'm still waiting for from Univar,..Ha, Ha.

I will probably get some real stripper this season at some point and try it, but this mix worked very well on this grayed out deck. Wasn't any stain on it.
Also added some Dawn to help it hang onto the verticals. Going back today to do a set of steps and landing attached to their garage.

When I get the percarbonate, is it worth adding to this mix,...or is it just wasted product. I was thinking the lighter on the caustics, the better all the way around?

This is the first deck I ever downstreamed, absolutely loved it!!
One hose, and simple.
Thanks again!!

Jeff

Ken Fenner

Jeff, its never to late for old dogs to learn new tricks. Downstreaming decks increased my company's efficiency by at least 30%.

As to your question about percarbs.. There would be no point in adding them to the mix. What would help you if you get more into decks is to use a pre-blended stripper. The chems you mentioned have the heat but it is the surfactants that make the difference in stripping products. Over the years I have experimented with thickening agents, foaming additives, etc. What I look for now is something that rinses cleanly and easily.

Scott Davis

Last year I stripped my own deck just fine, but the staining looked like crap. That was something we just couldnt get down for some reason. Do you use brushes, rags, mops, etc...??

Florin Nutu

Just want to thank you guys for the downstreaming help. I ended up using a blend of Metasilicate and Hydroxide. Equal parts and then mixed at 3/4 cup a gallon and then downstreamed. Then neutralized with 1 cup ox per gallon. Worked great, and dissolved easier than the percarbonate that I'm still waiting for from Univar,..Ha, Ha.

I will probably get some real stripper this season at some point and try it, but this mix worked very well on this grayed out deck. Wasn't any stain on it.
Also added some Dawn to help it hang onto the verticals. Going back today to do a set of steps and landing attached to their garage.

When I get the percarbonate, is it worth adding to this mix,...or is it just wasted product. I was thinking the lighter on the caustics, the better all the way around?

This is the first deck I ever downstreamed, absolutely loved it!!
One hose, and simple.
Thanks again!!

Jeff

Did you need to do any masking of the house? I run into the problem of the overspray getting on the house.. If I change over tips to stop drawing and rinse the house then I get the first couple feet of the deck that is closest to the house too diluted to do the work. How do you guys handle this?

Jeff Wible

Easiest to do is spray the mix on the first few feet while dry and then if the over spray was an issue, get your rinse nozzle on and then get the siding wet, that way the cleaner had it's chance to attack the dry surface rather the diluted surface. My mix was light I believe and was on removing the graying, so it wasn't a real issue for the siding. But yea, I did keep the house wet in the work zone. If you find it a real issue, get yourself a pump sprayer with water and use that to dampen the siding, would be more control and pinpointed than the washer.

You can always do those spots an extra round if need be to make up for the damp wood, if it didn't take as you would expect.

Jeff