• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

In a pinch

Damaris Sutton

I found out through running out of Chlorine on the job. I had a few streaks that were stubborn. We ran out of our chlorine and there were no places to buy from. So...I went and bought some clorox. Mixed it straight with some dawn and applied it directly to the spots. I let it dwell a few minutes then laid some water on it. Let it sit for a few more minutes then rinsed it off.

Result:No more streaks.

My thinking was what percent will chlorine drop to when say you mix 12.5% SH, Dawn and water? Straight 6 would come closer to what 12.5% would be right?

Well anyhow it worked. I was not coming back later and I do not leave a job til it is done.

Give me your thoughts.

David Vicars

Where we get our 12.5%, it is smokin' hot. Anywhere between 12 and 15%.
When doing roofs, I cut mine, 2 parts water to 1 part SHC. At minimum I'm at 4%.
Clorox is 6%. With shelf time it's prolly between 4 and 5%.
To answer your question, it depends how much water you add.

Scott Davis

I dont understand the thought process or the math, but someone said that straight 6 is not the same as 12% cut in half. Hopefully they will chime in.

Jimmy, The first time we used bleach it was kind of by accident. We were using a pitch witch type broom and it broke on us and we didnt have a back up w/ about 1/2 of the house left to do.

I called my dad and he suggested we use bleach, so we went and bought a bunch of bottles, a pump up sprayer and some soap, and what took us 2 days to do the first half, we knocked out the second half in 4 hours w/ a pump up!!

The 6% will work in a pinch, I just dont recommend it. Great job getting it done and not leaving it half completed.

Lesson learned? Always keep 50% more than what you think you will need. You saw those condos I posted recently? On That saturday they ran out of chems, and had to pay a $350 call out fee to order more, on top of the regular price. Cost us $1000 just for chems that day.

Damaris Sutton

I dont understand the thought process or the math, but someone said that straight 6 is not the same as 12% cut in half. Hopefully they will chime in.

Jimmy, The first time we used bleach it was kind of by accident. We were using a pitch witch type broom and it broke on us and we didnt have a back up w/ about 1/2 of the house left to do.

I called my dad and he suggested we use bleach, so we went and bought a bunch of bottles, a pump up sprayer and some soap, and what took us 2 days to do the first half, we knocked out the second half in 4 hours w/ a pump up!!

The 6% will work in a pinch, I just dont recommend it. Great job getting it done and not leaving it half completed.

Lesson learned? Always keep 50% more than what you think you will need. You saw those condos I posted recently? On That saturday they ran out of chems, and had to pay a $350 call out fee to order more, on top of the regular price. Cost us $1000 just for chems that day.

That does not seem like a great feeling. That is the kind of stuff that can break you if you were the kind of person to not adjust to variables.

Where can I get chems where I am that will be better priced rather than going to the pool store. They charge like over $3 per gal. I asked her about fresh and the manager said that it does not matter. I had one spa owner over in Morgantown, Pa tell me he cleans and chlorine is way too harsh and that he is glad they are going to make harsh restrictions on anyone handling the chem. He said unless you are licensed for a particular professional use it will be a thing of the past.

He suggested mean green?

Scott Davis

Im not sure which one of these is closest to you, but they are who we use.

http://www.univarusa.com/facilities/iview?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=pennsylvania&count=200

Mean green are degreasers, and not cleaners. Nothing on the market works as well or as quickly to clean shingles safely than Chlorine. Ask him too harsh for what exactly? Roof? Show me proof.

If he is cleaning roofs with mean green, he is pressure washing them or scrubbing them, neither of which are safe for a roof. Think about this also: Mean green is a degreaser. Granules are held in place by tar basically, which is a petroleum based substance. Why would you use a degreaser to clean a shingle being held together w/ a petroleum product? Doesn't make sense.

Honestly, I cant say that being licensed to handle chlorine is a bad thing, as long as they dont rape us with fees to do it. Being informed on how to handle the chems, first aid in case of accidents, how to clean it up in case of a spill, etc...is never a bad thing.