• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Not a Woddy Virgin any more!

Pat Norman

I'm not a woody virgin any more! Did my first deck (pressure treated pine) today using Bob's chemicals and guidance (THANKS BOB!!!) Used F18 straight at 2 oz per gallon sprayed with my Bobcat and Bob's neutralizer / Brightener downstreamed at 9 oz per gallon in my bucket. After spraying the F18max and a 15 minute dwell I used my dual lance and 25* nozzle cutting my pressure way down with the dual lance to wash the old weathering out and then the brightener. This really surprised me. The deck was really rough and I thought it wouldn't come out this good. Only a few splinters and a small area furred. Minimal (maybe 10 minutes work) hand sanding will be all that's needed. Only one railing really needs replaced before I come back and seal it, that board was fairly rotten and had a wild vine growing on it at one time the home owner said. Plan on using ReadySeal to seal it. What ya think?
24xly5w.jpg

ztoqb.jpg

Damaris Sutton

Looks great. Its a good field to be in isnt it? Imagine trying to make the money you did on this job working at Mc d's when you were 16 if you worked there? :headshakesmile-fast

Ken Fenner

Its about time, Pat. Looks awesome.

Have you looked into using the Armstrong Clark on it? Its very easy to apply as well and will require less work on your part. RS and other parafinic oils require three coats on a freshly stripped deck to look good and not fade in two months.

Pat Norman

Thanks Ken. I talked to a supplier and they are going to send me some pamphlets to show my customers. I will try to sway this customer over and tell them I found a better product. I appreciate the advice!

ShineBrite LLC

Contributing Member
Hi Pat,

Like Ken, I recommend AC as well. I have been using it for over 3 yrs now.
Almost all my work is pt pine. I apply wet on wet, that is, if it soaks in right away I go back over it right away. I am starting to maintain 2.5 - 3 yr wood now and it goes over itself well with no problem. Use a car wash brush - just dip in the bucket and travel. Gets in the radius edge cracks great. Back brush if you spray. Cut in a few boards at a time and run your board lengths. It's very forgiving as long as you don't get ahead of yourself, and the pigment and longevity are some of the best. Call the guys, they are great to deal with.

ShineBrite LLC

Contributing Member
Hey, I forgot to say Nice job on the deck prep. Amazing how they come out using the right clean and neutralize mixes. That drip line will almost always show. And that's the first place the sealer will loose pigment. Tell the client. Try to sand as little as possible, the spots you sand will show in the stain work. Look up methods to defur the grain. I found out right away that replacing pt pine was going to be a nice add on service. I invested in tools to retop with new pt and it has been well worth it. Consider offering it and at least doing repairs.