• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

RS Med Brown / Deck

Adrian Carrier

Here's a deck I restored.

Attachments

• IMG_2835.jpg
    IMG_2835.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2836.jpg
    IMG_2836.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 32

Florin Nutu

And all for under $400 labor and materials. Wow!!! Well thats what some home owners would have paid. Good job. :clap:

WOW. Is that the going rate in your area? I am able to sell decks up here for a decent price. Without having the actual sq ft of that deck, by looks my price would be in the 1500-1800 range depending on what stain was on it originally.

Henry Bockman

Gotta love the way Ready Seal looks on a deck. We just did a maintenance coat on mine after two years with Medium Red and it looks awesome. It's starting to look almost like wood furniture!

Adrian Carrier

I love the Reds Henry. They are a really hard sell.
I am actually starting a fence this morning ( shadowbox ugh ) that I am going to try and get them to lean towards the Dark Red.Hopefully they neighbors will latch on as well. But they are hard to sell. Browns are easy Reds are hard.

Always aqua, that's almost what I had in materials for the project.
It had shadows of Behr on it after about 10 yrs. Pretty easy strip and brighten. New owner of house.
I try to keep my minimum setup fee for wood right at 450.00.

Florin, you are right on the money. Cash customer on top of that.
3 trips (est. strip, & spray) total 10 hrs. Plus she gave a 5 star R&R on SM. ( Maybe it helped that we were both displaced Austinites)

Florin Nutu

Looking good Adrian, I'm looking at getting into wood restoration. Only hold up is an Oregon CCB license & bond. Is that Ready Seal?

I think you should take the plunge Isaac. The market is there in our area. If anything, advertise it and see the response.
I get more profitable on each deck I do. I am finding quicker ways, better tools for better results and less stain loss.

If you want you can come up on one of my jobs at least to see what its about and if it is something you have any interest in. A couple years ago I vowed to never do another deck again I was so disgusted with doing them. Ended up jumping back up on the horse and now I actually like doing them.

Adrian Carrier

It is RS Med Brown Isaac.
You will love the deck restos.
I know RS is very good in southern regions.
Not sure how it would hold up in your part of the woods.
Hardly ever any freezing around here.
I heard in a frozen environment the RS gets pushed out of the wood.
Something about the moisture expanding when it freezes and pushing the oil out. Not sure.

Someone may chime in on that one.

I'm lazy today. Man the old bones. I gotta get out there and work. Everyone have a great day.

Henry Bockman

It freezes in Maryland and I've never had a problem with the oil being squeezed out. I've got Ready Seal on thousands of decks with no problems, our customers love it and my employees love how easy it is to use.

Damaris Sutton

WOW. Is that the going rate in your area? I am able to sell decks up here for a decent price. Without having the actual sq ft of that deck, by looks my price would be in the 1500-1800 range depending on what stain was on it originally.

That's what some of them try to get me to do them for, but I laugh and walk away after I tell them I am going to register their project with the county in case the uninsured guy they hire destroys something, so they will not be able to take any action.

I mean some home owners have nerve to expect top quality with all the insurances, but want the price for a little over what it costs to do it after supplies, insurances and workers.

How many decks you do so far this year?

Isaac Baghdanov

Hey guys, I am looking into it. I have decided to tackle my Moms as trial run, no charge for her, she just buys the supplies. So I stripped her cedar deck today with f18, then put on some oxalic. Looks great, needs some repairs so my little bro will do that tomorrow. I had her pick up some Armstrong clark today, and I will stain tomorrow. I should probably start a new thread for this, but her front porch has some sort of deck paint on it, f18 didn't touch it. What will get this crap off so I can stain it?!

Rick Petry

I love the Reds Henry. They are a really hard sell.
I am actually starting a fence this morning ( shadowbox ugh ) that I am going to try and get them to lean towards the Dark Red.Hopefully they neighbors will latch on as well. But they are hard to sell. Browns are easy Reds are hard. ...

Adrian,

Wow, another contrast of the Texas market compared to NJ. Ready Seal medium red color has been my best seller, by far, for the past 8 years. PT, cedar, mahogany, ipe', it is just very popular here.

... I heard in a frozen environment the RS gets pushed out of the wood. Something about the moisture expanding when it freezes and pushing the oil out. Not sure.

Someone may chime in on that one. ...

Adrian,

I'll second Henry's post above. As RS parafin oil is non drying and soaks down into the wood, this scenario would seem to have merit. But in practice, on hundreds of decks, I have never seen this or have ever had any calls or complaints from customers.

And we have a lot of freeze/thaw cycles here in the wintertime.

The Cleaning Doctor

Contributing Member
Hey guys, I am looking into it. I have decided to tackle my Moms as trial run, no charge for her, she just buys the supplies. So I stripped her cedar deck today with f18, then put on some oxalic. Looks great, needs some repairs so my little bro will do that tomorrow. I had her pick up some Armstrong clark today, and I will stain tomorrow. I should probably start a new thread for this, but her front porch has some sort of deck paint on it, f18 didn't touch it. What will get this crap off so I can stain it?!

24 hours usually is not long enough but being cedar and 100 outside you might have a chance. Test the moisture or wait one mor day before staining. Too much water in the wood and you will not be happy with the results.

Ken Fenner

You won't get it off. Scrape, Prep with TSP and bleach, prime and recoat with a solid stain. Every woody has one of these decks in their portfolio. Since this is your mom's place and if you have more time than work, you can experiment. F-18 is not nearly strong enough. Get yourself some HD-80 and then boost that with butyl. Wear your protective gear as that mix will cause second and third degree burns within ten minutes of making skin contact. Also be prepared to do a ton of sanding.

Adrian Carrier

Good to go Henry.
Definately trust your experience.

Just something I heard, maybe some stains do that when frozen.
Never have to worry about that sort of thing except maybe 1 month of the Winter season if that much at all.
Thx.

Florin Nutu

Same here, I would wait another day Isaac. I get the painted decks every once in a while and I just do what Ken mentioned. If anything I can make it a two toned by sanding all of it off the floor boards but not the rails.

Isaac Baghdanov

Same here, I would wait another day Isaac. I get the painted decks every once in a while and I just do what Ken mentioned. If anything I can make it a two toned by sanding all of it off the floor boards but not the rails.

Maybe, I'll do that, the rails have a fresh coat. Thanks!

Adrian Carrier

Adrian,

Wow, another contrast of the Texas market compared to NJ. Ready Seal medium red color has been my best seller, by far, for the past 8 years. PT, cedar, mahogany, ipe', it is just very popular here.

Adrian,

I'll second Henry's post above. As RS parafin oil is non drying and soaks down into the wood, this scenario would seem to have merit. But in practice, on hundreds of decks, I have never seen this or have ever had any calls or complaints from customers.

And we have a lot of freeze/thaw cycles here in the wintertime.

Ok, so my brain is fried. lol. It may have been either Pete or Tracy that told me this scenario years back at one of the lunch box meetings. A little fuzzy on exactly who told me.

Maybe that's why I leaned towards RS since it doesn't get pushed out.
I'm down to limited memory this week. ha.

The only RS Dark Red I have sold this year is in the Bob Marley vid I posted a while back.

The last day of Dec. last yr. was my first sale of the Red for fence resto in 2008.
Just not a big seller here. My dist. at Kwall is always asking me to sell more reds because they have so much.