Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Should pressure washing companies be licensed - Page 3

View Poll Results: Should pressure washing companies be licensed??

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 65.63%
  • No

11 34.38%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Should pressure washing companies be licensed

Default Re: Should pressure washing companies be licensed

Dont let Tony fool all you guys. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and raised in a Government Family. He also used to live in a big Whitehouse in some strang place called DC. and I heard it was during a democratic admin. Yup! he's just been hiding out in Vegas stirring the conservative pot so people would think the right went to far right, so we all would think its time for a Change

Don't let that Vegas tan fool you.......yep he related to

Tony come on admit it BROTHER you are TONY HUSSIEN BARRY OBAMA
    Shelton was his Grandmas name. The conspiracy is over, congrats, job well done Tony, change is here, you did it. Now you can go back to your other job and dont worry, its going to be called marraige, not civil union

I'm not one to start rumors but did you hear about Tonys plan

Quote Originally Posted by JL Pressure View Post
    Dont let Tony fool all you guys. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and raised in a Government Family. He also used to live in a big Whitehouse in some strang place called DC. and I heard it was during a democratic admin. Yup! he's just been hiding out in Vegas stirring the conservative pot so people would think the right went to far right, so we all would think its time for a Change

Don't let that Vegas tan fool you.......yep he related to

Tony come on admit it BROTHER you are TONY HUSSIEN BARRY OBAMA
    Shelton was his Grandmas name. The conspiracy is over, congrats, job well done Tony, change is here, you did it. Now you can go back to your other job and dont worry, its going to be called marraige, not civil union

I'm not one to start rumors but did you hear about Tonys plan

Now I have to go back into secret service protection! Thanks a lot Jeff.

Did you hear about your buddy's doubling of the tax enforcement budget?

History has shown that low tax rates bring in more total taxes. There is another way though, raise the taxes to a rate that is unacceptable to the public then use paid thugs to forcefully take it. Your buddy has chosen the latter.

With Chris' family living in our house by the time the new spending bill goes through our cost will be over $77,000 as a household. In a year that could pay all our house payments and all our utilities. I guess that lady was right about Obama taking care of her mortage and fuel costs. He's taking care of them alright, he's spending them.

Back to the thread. --- Are you migrating towards libertarian?
    Sonitx
    702-358-7477

Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAqua View Post
    As far as Criminal Charges I would have to pass on. Especially with the Northern states being famous for letting child rapist(Not Molestors because thats too nice a word for these perverts) off the hook with a slap on the wrist, it would be a shame for a person to have jail time just for trying to feed his family.

How about we all just get chapters started to help get these unlicensed workers on board and show them a new way. Why keep them off the radar and run them out when just a little training and the right licenses and liability with equipment and so forth they can join the fold?
    I'm not against new guys starting up, or guys trying to feed their family. I'm not promoting this just so we can raise prices either. My reasoning is soley based on protecting consumers property and trying to make people realize that pressure washing isn't just spraying water with the highest PSI you can buy. As a business owner we all carry insurance to protect ourselves and our clients, why should a new guy be allowed to start up without it?

In MD, you have to have an MHIC for tightning a nail or a screw on a house. Your telling me that anyone should be able to use a 3,500 PSI machine to wash siding and decks without a license? Think about the possible damages that much pressure could cause. Now think about what can be damaged from tightning a nail or screw. Does that make ANY SENSE???

Due to the possible damages that can be caused by pressure washing we should be licensed to protect consumers.
    Henry Bockman 301-216-9675
    Henry's Housework Inc & Commercial Restorations
    13433 Tilford Court Germantown, MD 20874

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Bockman View Post
    I'm not against new guys starting up, or guys trying to feed their family. I'm not promoting this just so we can raise prices either. My reasoning is soley based on protecting consumers property and trying to make people realize that pressure washing isn't just spraying water with the highest PSI you can buy. As a business owner we all carry insurance to protect ourselves and our clients, why should a new guy be allowed to start up without it?

In MD, you have to have an MHIC for tightning a nail or a screw on a house. Your telling me that anyone should be able to use a 3,500 PSI machine to wash siding and decks without a license? Think about the possible damages that much pressure could cause. Now think about what can be damaged from tightning a nail or screw. Does that make ANY SENSE???

Due to the possible damages that can be caused by pressure washing we should be licensed to protect consumers.

I saw John Stossel this morning on TV. He was talking about how, after the Americans with disabilities act passed the unemployment for the disabled rose SHARPLY and is still higher than it was before the ADA.

Bottom line is this. Government involvement promises protection and delivers oppression.

Please show me in the Maryland constitution where it has the right or the duty to "protect" you as a homeowner from making a stupid decision. I'd be willing to bet it's not there. It's not in the US constitution for sure.

Why not go further? Why not make a government agency to make sure you
    don't pay too much for a used car?
    CAR DEALERS ARE LICENSED TO REDUCE COMPETITION NOT HELP THE CONSUMER.
    Why not set up another bureaucracy to make sure your used car "performs it's duties for the term of your loan without interruption"?
    BANKS ARE LICENSED TO REDUCE COMPETITION, NOT TO HELP THE CONSUMER
    How about a state department to make sure the homeowners aren't paying interest that's a point too high.
    MORTGAGE COMPANIES ARE LICENSED TO REDUCE COMPETITION, NOT TO HELP THE CONSUMER

What they all have in common is some poor naive soul stood right beside a conniving bank/car dealer/mortgage company owner like a sheep (in front of a city council/state legislature, etc) and told how much protection licensing was going to provide for the consumer.

The end result is REDUCED COMPETITION and NO PROTECTION.

Why do we sit there and agree like sheep?

I notice there isn't much participation on this thread.

If you're reading this behind the scenes and sitting back thinking that YOU are going to be one of the large companies controlling all this in the future you are thinking far to highly of yourself and are fooling yourself. The owner of the company that will control this if it gets out of hand is probably playing golf right now an pays some one to read stuff like this.

Fighting for more government control over our industry is like picking at a snake with a stick.
    Last edited by Tony Shelton; 05-08-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: sp
    Sonitx
    702-358-7477

Should pressure washing companies be licensed?
    I'd like to see more businesses licensed. maybe get rid of some jokers who pass their selves off as painters and PWers. The real problem is how to police the problem once we pass licensing. California has painters licensed with very few inspectors. That is the problem. I would love to pay an extra $1,000. for licensing. If anything, it may level the playing field. Let's do it and give me a phone # to call to turn in the clowns who don't have insurance, any education in their field or pay taxes and Soc. Sec. Let's make our business a professional business and not a way to make beer money. Just my 2 cents. Thank you.
    Our Passion is Coatings,
    Our Obsession is Service!

Terry Miller COO
    Tegrey Family of Coatings inc.
    330-418-8955

Tony you will never convince people that want more government that less government is better. Over the last couple of years Ive had my fill of hacks, they will always be there, licensing, certification or what ever, they will be there. Ive seen first hand what helping someone with hard earned knowledge can do, its very hard to reach that knife in your back. So what did I do? I quit worrying about it, I dont help noobs, I dont chastise hacks (well, I try not to), and I sure as hell dont want more government. I do my job to the best of my ability and charge what I think I should and dont worry about everyone else. Guess what? It works great, my phone wont stop ringing.

279 views so far and only ten posters and 14 votes.

While I do believe that most everybody on here would like to justify additional licensure thinking they are helping a poor helpless homeowner, these snippets point in a different direction:

Marc - could be more $$ for the state

$163.00 per year to be liscenced , that isn't much money to show Im serious

We need to educate our customers (possible customers ) that the pressure cleaning industry isn't just a bunch of guys spraying water around.That we are serious about what we do . and we will pay the premium to prove it

Teachers working summer jobs for cash , doing painting and powerwashing , advertising then lowballing , these guys are taking possible income right outa our pockets . Book um Danno

John - $1000 fine with the next time being caught they can be charged criminally. I support that because it eliminates some of my competitors who want to be cheats.

OK I'll step up and say I want our industry to be licensed so to make it tougher for the ones who want to lowball us and do shoddy work to make us all look bad.

Terry - I'd like to see more businesses licensed. maybe get rid of some jokers who pass their selves off as painters and PWers.

I would love to pay an extra $1,000. for licensing. If anything, it may level the playing field.

Going on and on about saving the poor homeowner may make you sleep good at night. But its a false comfort based on a false premise.

I called my underwriter at my insurance company this morning (Farmers) to ask them if they could find out if they could find any claims against pressure washing companies. I'm still waiting for them to call back. I'm sure there are some. But nowhere near enough to warrant changes in licensure.

What I'm really waiting for is for one of the all knowledgeable pressure washers on any of the boards to produce a list of the hundreds or thousands of poor homeowners each year who have nowhere to turn because the guy who put some scratches in their driveway or furred their deck is uninsured.

If this is such a big problem where is the outcry from the public on this?

Doing a search on Google I tried Florida and some of the marjor cities in Florida. I can't find a single news report or article on the huge problem of uninsured pressure washers! Where is the avalanche of evidence to back up the idea that the poor pitiful stupid homeowner needs the protection of government licensure?

It's all made up. It's all hypothetical. Sure there are some homeowners who get screwed. Tough. That's life.

I caught a licensed HVAC company charging my customer $1300 to clean 9 coils and videotaped them drinking beer for 30 minutes on the roof and only opening ONE unit and cleaning NONE.

LICENSED HVAC COMPANY, 2M INSURANCE, 4 LICENSED TECHS, LOTS OF EDUCATION UNDER THEIR BELT.
    I made the owner return the check or I would have turned the tape over to the police. (I referred them, that is the ONLY reason this situation was any of my business) If we witness FRAUD, THAT is how we need to look out for the homeowner, NOT waiting around every corner to try to snitch on anyone who does a job that's not quite as good as we would have done. We don't need quality police.
    Sonitx
    702-358-7477

Quote Originally Posted by RMedbery View Post
    Tony you will never convince people that want more government that less government is better. Over the last couple of years Ive had my fill of hacks, they will always be there, licensing, certification or what ever, they will be there. Ive seen first hand what helping someone with hard earned knowledge can do, its very hard to reach that knife in your back. So what did I do? I quit worrying about it, I dont help noobs, I dont chastise hacks (well, I try not to), and I sure as hell dont want more government. I do my job to the best of my ability and charge what I think I should and dont worry about everyone else. Guess what? It works great, my phone wont stop ringing.
    That's all good until the government steps in and sets your maximum price (utility companies) and determines how much you can pay yourself (Bank Ceo's) and decides that "the best of your ability" doesn't meet up to their minimum standards that have been set by your larger competitor who bribed a state legislator to let them require that Fords can't be used in the hood business because he uses Dodges

All I'm telling these guys is not to invite the devil into their house.
    Sonitx
    702-358-7477

Quote Originally Posted by RMedbery View Post

Good post. I just dont see licensing solving anything

Ah.........but my best is far and above most industry or government standards. Thats why I quit caring about others. My standard is bare naked metal, you cant get no cleaner. The only thing a license will do for me is make me spend more money. And every larger competitor that Ive come across has had lower standards than me.

• Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information