• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Finding Motivated Employees!

John Larimore

I have been in business for almost 15 years and am fortunate to have a great book of business. My biggest problem is keeping my employees motivated and getting them, honestly, to show up for work at all. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what have you done to rectify this?

I don't have employees at this time, but I might be able to answer as an X-employee who did sales calls for many years. Have you considered doing bonuses? Or a reward system? I know I was always motivated with money or rewards. Or even prizes. Most employees more then anything (and this was always important to me back then) want to hear their doing a good job. Any time i heard that from my boss I had a smile on my face because they appreciated me as an employee. Hopefully that helps you and welcome to The UAMCC if I hadn't already welcomed you.

John Larimore

I don't have employees at this time, but I might be able to answer as an X-employee who did sales calls for many years. Have you considered doing bonuses? Or a reward system? I know I was always motivated with money or rewards. Or even prizes. Most employees more then anything (and this was always important to me back then) want to hear their doing a good job. Any time i heard that from my boss I had a smile on my face because they appreciated me as an employee. Hopefully that helps you and welcome to The UAMCC if I hadn't already welcomed you.

We were thinking about doing that but the problem we're having is do we reward you for showing up but not working as hard as you should? Or rewarding on jobs completed? The funny thing is we did offer a bonus to one of our employees if he showed up everyday (when he's there he does work hard) and he was so excited and then he called in sick the next day. Go figure! We were thinking of having a company luncheon so that they can tell us what they want (which of course is a raise) and what we expect so, everyone could share their thoughts.

Scott Stone

The motivated employee thing is hard. I have 40 employees. We are regularly doing things like lunch for the group, just handing out unexpected bonuses when we have had a particularly hard week, and offering pay increases for harder routes.
I have found that the motivation tends to be something that the employee does internally.
The most effective thing I have been able to do is make sure that their trucks and machines are working properly. That their paperwork is correct at the start of the day, and that we make sure that they are doing their jobs properly. Believe it or not, it seems our guys are happier when they are being regularly checked, and their proper performance is acknowledged.
Remember how much it sucks to have crappy, poor performing equipment.

John Larimore

We currently only have 4 employees so I don't know how you do it. That's an incredible feat! I want to grow the company but need to get this crew working right before I do. I think everyone is right though. We are going to complete a job this week that has taken over three weeks so maybe we can give everyone a bonus when we wrap it up. Thanks, for the advice. It really is appreciated.

James VanHandle

UAMCC-Member
We currently only have 4 employees so I don't know how you do it. That's an incredible feat! I want to grow the company but need to get this crew working right before I do. I think everyone is right though. We are going to complete a job this week that has taken over three weeks so maybe we can give everyone a bonus when we wrap it up. Thanks, for the advice. It really is appreciated.
Our company has 10 employees and bonuses due help but then become expected as well. We are working on implementing a plan for a percentage paid for every job.

Brian Wendling

I agree with giving them better equipment and put them on a percentage. They will work harder and get jobs done faster. Also make them take care of there equipment and charge them when it breaks. Take it out of the percentage you pay them. Systemize as much as possible.

George Clarke

UAMCC Board of Directors
I agree with checking them and giving praise every time they do something right. They need to know what you want and the best way is to find them doing it and validate it. So much can get lost in communication. You would be surprised how frequently you are misunderstood and then the guy does the wrong thing which you of course will say something, but you have to point out the right way as well.