• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

HF Acid... I Got Burned.

Chuck Flagler

New member
Hey, everyone. I might be posting in the wrong area. I also posted this on another BB, so if you have seen it... sorry.

As I am relatively new here, this may already have been discussed and I just missed it. But it may help someone else avoid the problems I had so, here goes...



I got burned with Hydrofluoric Acid (Aluminum Brightener), a few years ago. Did not burn at all when it hit my hands. I was wearing short gloves (like NFL players wear) with rubber palms and mesh backs. I was wearing the gloves mainly to keep my hands clean. Anyway... the acid got inside the gloves, did not hurt, so I did not worry. Then when I was driving home a few hours later my hands started hurting. A few more hours and it felt like someone was bashing my hands with a hammer. I did some internet research... and went straight to the Emergency Room. My hands showed no signs of damage on the outside. Did not turn red. Skin did not come off. I told the Doctor that it was Hydroflouric Acid, not Hydrochloric or Muriatic. They did not listen. Gave me a shot for pain and sent me home. Two days later, my fingernails had turned black, I could not close my hands. My hands were so swollen I could not see knuckles. I went to see my regular Doctor and he told me that, due to how long it had been, what ever damage that was done, was done. There was really nothing left to do at this point. There was a treatment, it had to be done in the first few hours. Would have saved me a lot of pain. Everything is fine now. Except my knuckles feel Arthritic. That may just be my age, though.

A quick, on the spot treatment is to soak the area in Milk. It helps to balance out the effect of the acid's pulling the calcium from your body.

Sorry so long. Just thought it might help someone else someday.




Here is a link for treatment in case it ever happens to someone else: http://membership.acs.org/F/FLUO/hfmedbook.pdf
__________________
 

Jeff LeCours

New member
Hey, everyone. I might be posting in the wrong area. I also posted this on another BB, so if you have seen it... sorry.

As I am relatively new here, this may already have been discussed and I just missed it. But it may help someone else avoid the problems I had so, here goes...



I got burned with Hydrofluoric Acid (Aluminum Brightener), a few years ago. Did not burn at all when it hit my hands. I was wearing short gloves (like NFL players wear) with rubber palms and mesh backs. I was wearing the gloves mainly to keep my hands clean. Anyway... the acid got inside the gloves, did not hurt, so I did not worry. Then when I was driving home a few hours later my hands started hurting. A few more hours and it felt like someone was bashing my hands with a hammer. I did some internet research... and went straight to the Emergency Room. My hands showed no signs of damage on the outside. Did not turn red. Skin did not come off. I told the Doctor that it was Hydroflouric Acid, not Hydrochloric or Muriatic. They did not listen. Gave me a shot for pain and sent me home. Two days later, my fingernails had turned black, I could not close my hands. My hands were so swollen I could not see knuckles. I went to see my regular Doctor and he told me that, due to how long it had been, what ever damage that was done, was done. There was really nothing left to do at this point. There was a treatment, it had to be done in the first few hours. Would have saved me a lot of pain. Everything is fine now. Except my knuckles feel Arthritic. That may just be my age, though.

A quick, on the spot treatment is to soak the area in Milk. It helps to balance out the effect of the acid's pulling the calcium from your body.

Sorry so long. Just thought it might help someone else someday.




Here is a link for treatment in case it ever happens to someone else: http://membership.acs.org/F/FLUO/hfmedbook.pdf
__________________
I read this where you posted it before, what a painful nightmare. Thanks for sharing.
Jeff
 

topcoat

Contributing Member
Timely post, Chuck. We have had a couple of burn issues this summer. One guy bit on the foot by sodium hydroxide, and another guy caught a random spatter on the forearm from a nearby mason cleaning a brick chimney with hydrochloric. Never a bad time for a wake up call on safety.
 

Steven Button

Contributing Member
... thanks for sharing Chuck - you always have to take care when working with chemicals. I have learned my lesson after getting minor burns... one was with a phosphoric/hydrofluoric blend used in cleaning a car wash bay, the other was a small caustic burn on my neck.

PPE and careful usage at all times!!

Hope your hands are not bothering you too much.
 

Brian Schrecengost

Contributing Member
We do not mess with HF acid. IT CAN KILL YOU EASILY.I have gotten hit by everything we have. A little irritation, sodium hydroxide, I wash my hands with it if I dont have soap. My brother got a face full of oxalic, in the eyes, wash em out and he is fine.Chlorine, not a problem. But I have not, or will never touch HF acid. It can kill you just like you said. doesnt hurt, gets in the blood and goes to the heart. bad shizt
 

topcoat

Contributing Member
What are people doing for ppe when dealing with caustics and bad acids? If there is already a thread on this, please point me to it. I still think we should set up a specific sub forum where safety info can be compiled.
 

Kevin Palladino

Contributing Member
I also got burned. I was using a product called Gutter Zap. Works well cleaning gutters and aluminum. Didn't feel any pain as I too was wearing gloves but the drippings dripped onto my forearm and it took about 2 weeks to heal. I now have a one inch scar to remind me to ensure I'm well protected.
 
Top