• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Should pressure washing companies be licensed

Should pressure washing companies be licensed??

• Total voters

RMedbery

And another.

The charges arose following a complaint filed by a consumer who had contracted with Rivera to build an addition to their home. After Rivera received a check for $82,500 to start the job

And my tax dollars, which were obtained by the government through the threat of use of deadly force, are going to be used to bail this idiot out.

Beth Borrego

Roger,

If an MHIC licensed company creates a problem resulting in damage, they are insured and there is a fund the state has to protect the consumer, and something can be done about the contractor.

Unlicensed contractors just keep flying under the radar and hacking away (some do good work, most don't from what I have seen) at property they do not own, causing thousands in damage and no simple and fast recourse for the owner.

Beth

Last edited:

Henry Bockman

I agree that the Government involvement is no good. However, there is a need for US to take an action to either encourage enforcement of the regulations currently imposed on us or remove them. Either way we need to get together on something to HELP us. Tony is correct about it not eliminating hacks. But the current regs we abide by give hacks an unfair advantage to price lower by not abiding by the regulations. It would be great for the UAMCC to be a voice for us and help push one way or another depending on the memberships wishes. Either for enforcement of regs ALREADY in place or to push for less regs.

I am not endorsing the idea of more regs! Only a push for less or for the regs to be enforced.

Hi Mike,

I've already contacted the UAMCC and the PWNA for support on this. I'm still waiting to hear back from both. So far all the polls I have run support licensing for pressure washing contractors with a pretty high margin. In my case, I'm asking the orgs to support sane licensing regulations for Maryland contractors.

Since the UAMCC and PWNA both require members to be licensed if the state requires it, I don't see any reason why they would not support it.

Tony Shelton

Environmental Consultant / Past Director
Roger,

If an MHIC licensed company creates a problem resulting in damage, they are insured and there is a fund the state has to protect the consumer, and something can be done about the contractor.

Unlicensed contractors just keep flying under the radar and hacking away (some do good work, most don't from what I have seen) at property they do not own, causing thousands in damage and no simple and fast recourse for the owner.

Beth

And this state fund comes from where? The state fund fairy? It either comes from everyone's pocket (taxes) or from the innocent contractors' pockets (fees and business taxes)

This is what you are advocating? Taking from the innocent to cover the crooked and bail out the stupid.

Are you telling me you see nothing wrong with this scenario?

Jeff LeCours

Hi Mike,

I've already contacted the UAMCC and the PWNA for support on this. I'm still waiting to hear back from both. So far all the polls I have run support licensing for pressure washing contractors with a pretty high margin. In my case, I'm asking the orgs to support sane licensing regulations for Maryland contractors.

Since the UAMCC and PWNA both require members to be licensed if the state requires it, I don't see any reason why they would not support it.

The UAMCC only requires proof of insurance

Henry Bockman

And this state fund comes from where? The state fund fairy? It either comes from everyone's pocket (taxes) or from the innocent contractors' pockets (fees and business taxes)

This is what you are advocating? Taking from the innocent to cover the crooked and bail out the stupid.

Hey Sontix,

For a contractor that's a LONG way from Maryland, with very little understanding of how things are actually done here by our State and the MHIC, you sure have a strong opinion on this.

I honestly believe if you were a contractor in this state, dealing with the problems were dealing with, you might have a different view of things. All we want is laws that make sense (if they are going to have them) and an even playing field that protects our customers and the local PW industry. Does it make sense to require PW contractors that are doing things the right way, to be licensed and NOT the contractors that are doing things the WRONG way?

Beth Borrego

That's right, I see nothing wrong with it at all. I have lived in Maryland all my life, it's not perfect but it not in bad shape compared to many states.

Please don't tell me you think what Bernie Madoff did was ok.....because from what you are writing, all this stuff about if they were so stupid it's their own fault, well that doesn't make it right to do.

Beth

RMedbery

That's right, I see nothing wrong with it at all. I have lived in Maryland all my life, it's not perfect but it not in bad shape compared to many states.

Please don't tell me you think what Bernie Madoff did was ok.....because from what you are writing, all this stuff about if they were so stupid it's their own fault, well that doesn't make it right to do.

Beth
Told ya, people like this love government. The more government the better. Like I said before, they think its perfectly fine for the government to take money by force so they can give it to who THEY think deserve it. But if I did the same thing they would want me put in jail.

Tony you will never convince these people, they will continue to say the sky is purple no matter how many different ways you show them its blue.

Carlos Gonzales

Just a quick question after 10 pages of this...

IF MD adopts a licensing requirement for ...lets say decks washing. What assurance from the State do we have that they will enforce the letter of the law?

Just curious....

Henry Bockman

Hey Carlos, they enforce it now for deck staining and other services we provide like gutter repairs. They look for contractors that should be licensed to ensure that they are. If not, they are contacted and told they need to become licensed. Quite a few publications won't allow you to run an ad for a service unless you have the license. The MHIC does have power and they do use it to make sure consumers are protected and scam contractors are found and dealt with. They also run spot checks and on occasion, scam checks to make sure contractors aren't ripping people off.

Sometimes they also call a bunch of contractors for bids on doing work, just to check their license, and to make sure they aren't breaking the law or codes..

Tony Shelton

Hey Sontix,

For a contractor that's a LONG way from Maryland, with very little understanding of how things are actually done here by our State and the MHIC, you sure have a strong opinion on this.

I honestly believe if you were a contractor in this state, dealing with the problems were dealing with, you might have a different view of things. All we want is laws that make sense (if they are going to have them) and an even playing field that protects our customers and the local PW industry. Does it make sense to require PW contractors that are doing things the right way, to be licensed and NOT the contractors that are doing things the WRONG way?

Henry, You are on a national board advocating licensing.

Which is it? Did you put this poll out to find out the opinion of everyone in the US regarding licensing just in Maryland?

I already told you in a previous post you can do what you want in your own state. If you don't want to hear opinions from other states maybe you should post your poll on a local Maryland Forum.

Tony Shelton

Beth

The SEC is highly regulated, watched, investigated and discussed. Experts warned about Madoff as far back as 1999 claiming that his books did not match trades and his claims were mathematically impossible.

Why were so many stupid people taken in? Because they were lulled into the false security that government with all it's regulations and laws surely would not allow a high profile act like Madoff to operate illegally. They were CONFIDENT that with all the checks and balances put in place by the SEC they would not lose their money due to fraud.

Further, Madoff was "licensed up" and was well respected by most in the investment world. All the oversight in the world was circumvented while his victims slept like sheep under the warm covers of government protection.

You have produced yet another perfect example of why we shouldn't be inviting the government into our business.

Carlos Gonzales

Which is it? Did you put this poll out to find out the opinion of everyone in the US regarding licensing just in Maryland?

I already told you in a previous post you can do what you want in your own state. If you don't want to hear opinions from other states maybe you should post your poll on a local Maryland Forum.

Henry...Tony is right. You parked this out here and on other boards to get opinions and comments. Tony is a long way from MD but regardless of that he is entitled to give his thoughts on this matter.

Lets all keep it professional. This is a good thread on all the boards! Great feedback!!

Michael Kreisle

Contributing Member
The SEC is highly regulated, watched, investigated and discussed. Experts warned about Madoff as far back as 1999 claiming that his books did not match trades and his claims were mathematically impossible.

Why were so many stupid people taken in? Because they were lulled into the false security that government with all it's regulations and laws surely would not allow a high profile act like Madoff to operate illegally. They were CONFIDENT that with all the checks and balances put in place by the SEC they would not lose their money due to fraud.

Further, Madoff was "licensed up" and was well respected by most in the investment world. All the oversight in the world was circumvented while his victims slept like sheep under the warm covers of government protection.

You have produced yet another perfect example of why we shouldn't be inviting the government into our business.

I don't want to invite them here. THEY are already here and we as an industry, need to do SOMETHING to protect ourselves from non-professionals stealing the food off our tables. They take advantage of the fact that the government is in our business but yet doesn't enforce any of the regs that have been set on us.

My stance is simple...... Let me get away with not paying Workers Comp, Unemployment Insurance, Matching FICA, Abiding by OSHA rules, complying with Clean Water Act, and all the other annoying rules I am expected to play by. Or Hammer :got-hooligan: the ones that don't play by the rules. (Or remove the rules that say I can't hammer them for stealing from me) Two things we can do... Push for enforcement (which includes licensing) or we push for removal of the regulations ALREADY in place. Either way we as an industry should be coming together to HELP ourselves. Tony is VERY right... I want to help US and not so much a customer that only wants a low price no matter the cost. And yes, I do believe some folks have NO Business being in Business. It takes more than being hungry and trying to fet by. They should come work for those of us that are better prepared to run Businesses.

Folks think we are wanting to INVITE the Gov. here. Fact is that they are ALREADY here. That is the issue. They are already here allowing folks to steal from me by not enforcing thier own rules.

Tony Shelton

I don't want to invite them here. THEY are already here and we as an industry, need to do SOMETHING to protect ourselves from non-professionals stealing the food off our tables. They take advantage of the fact that the government is in our business but yet doesn't enforce any of the regs that have been set on us.

My stance is simple...... Let me get away with not paying Workers Comp, Unemployment Insurance, Matching FICA, Abiding by OSHA rules, complying with Clean Water Act, and all the other annoying rules I am expected to play by. Or Hammer :got-hooligan: the ones that don't play by the rules. (Or remove the rules that say I can't hammer them for stealing from me) ........

As highlighted in red above. Which of those highlighted "annoying rules" has been the golden key to removing hacks and protecting homeowners? WC? UI? FICA? Osha? CWA? My point it licensing is just another rule to be broken.

Look how much sense the rules make now.

I use temp labor. I've used the same guys for years. Their WC is paid by the staffing company, Yet I have to pay $1000.00 per year to for WC even though I and the other board members have exempted themselves. There is NO LIABILITY on the part of the insurance company but I still have to pay $1000 per year because the Government requires it. The insurance company tells me they understand but it is out of their hands. Stupid.

What about UI, and Fica? Who cares. I sleep well because I play by the rules. I've been audited twice for two three year periods and came out smelling like a rose because I play by the rules. Who cares what some other guy does. Eventually he will probably be audited.

Osha is the same way, We've been hit once by Osha, not because we were breaking the rules but because the local (ignorant) osha guy didn't understand the law that clearly states as a business owner I am exempt from Osha Regs. Just another example of the Government stepping in with one of their finest only to be sent limping home.

Now, so you don't get the wrong idea UI, Fica, and Osha are put in place to PROTECT the worker, not the consumer. I'm not "against" them. They are already there. They apply to everyone, and not just one industry.

I'm for the second part of our paragraph, get rid of the rules. It's just not possible once the government has a hand in it.

Please sit down and count up how much all of those things including any licensing you might have that a hack does not have and post how much more per hour you REALLY have to charge to make up the difference. It won't be as much as you think.

Henry Bockman

Henry...Tony is right. You parked this out here and on other boards to get opinions and comments. Tony is a long way from MD but regardless of that he is entitled to give his thoughts on this matter.

Lets all keep it professional. This is a good thread on all the boards! Great feedback!!

Your right, this is a National BBS but all this government conspiracy stuff is a waste of time. My question was Should pressure washing companies be licensed? I didn't ask what your latest conspiracy theory is or this endless banter.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we have all heard what Sontix and Rmedbury have to say. Okay, your against it. BUT, let other people have thier own opinion as well, or offer a suggestion or idea instead of tearing apart everything others are saying.